Ac accumulator/drier replacement

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Rasp933
Read the full article

Ac accumulator/drier replacement

Post by Rasp933 »

Hi.iam new here.
Iam a keep it short n simple.
I need to know if i replace the accumulator/drier on my 2002 civic do i need to get the ac system vaccumed n tested for leaks before i put in new freon?
Or iam good to just put in the new freon.?
Thanks
Dougflas

Re: Ac accumulator/drier replacement

Post by Dougflas »

Is it leaking or low on refrigerant now? You want the system to be leak proof before adding a new drier. If it does not leak now, recover the charge and change the drier. Vacuum the system down and add your refrigerant.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Rasp933 wrote:Hi.iam new here.
I need to know if i replace the accumulator/drier on my 2002 civic do i need to get the ac system vaccumed n tested for leaks before i put in new freon?
Thanks
If there's refrigerant in there now, you must recover the refrigerant before you replace the accumulator/drier. But from your post it seems that you are replacing "just" the accumulator/drier - so I ask WHY?

Yes, the system must be evacuated/vacuumed, confirmed to hold vacuum, and then refrigerant added. EVERY time.

Your 2005 does not use "freon" (which is R-12), it uses R134a. Do NOT add any sealers or leak seal, R134a refrigerant and UV dye only are acceptable.
DarrylS

Post by DarrylS »

Hi.iam new here.
Thanks

Yes you will have to vacuum the system and yes you want to be sure it is leak free before adding refrigerant. Air left in the system will cause all sorts of problems and if you try to vacuum a leaking system you will pull air into it. System needs to be pressure tested for leaks not vacuum tested.