Accidentally charged through both ports for a minute

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Notnilc20
Read the full article

Accidentally charged through both ports for a minute

Post by Notnilc20 »

Using typical manifold, and engine running with ac on. i opened both ports after I attached can of freon to the yellow line. Then after a minute I realised and shut off the high pressure side and charged normally through low side. Did I mess anything up? Thanks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Accidentally charged through both ports for a minute

Post by Cusser »

Did the refrigerant can blow up and kill you? Maim you? Are there any strange, bad noises now, or funny pressures?

If "NO" to all, then my guess is: OK.
Notnilc20

Post by Notnilc20 »

Cusser wrote:Did the refrigerant can blow up and kill you? Maim you? Are there any strange, bad noises now, or funny pressures?

If "NO" to all, then my guess is: OK.
No..i'm still alive.... :)

Everything seems fine except after putting in the r134 the high side pressure was at 240-250 and the lowside pressure was around 30-35......the outside temp around 50 degrees F. So the high side seems a bit high....i did replace my ac condensor with the more modern style smaller fin version as opposed to the older style tubular version....don't know if maybe i overcharged? I'll call denso and see what or if they have any specs on different amts of oil and r134 to fill the system when using the more modern version condensor. Do you happen to know? Thanks.
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

Info on what type of vehicle would be helpful (year, make, model, etc). But typically the amounts don't change much unless with the old tube and fin condenser the vehicle used R12 and now it has R134 in it.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Notnilc20

Post by Notnilc20 »

Jag987 wrote:Info on what type of vehicle would be helpful (year, make, model, etc). But typically the amounts don't change much unless with the old tube and fin condenser the vehicle used R12 and now it has R134 in it.
It's a 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS. Yes it originally had r12 with the larger tube style condensor.
Big3

Post by Big3 »

I own an 86 Celica GTS with the same AC system. Replace the evaporator as mine was clogged with 30 years worth of crap - it was a time machine of debris. Also, they have two elec fans - radiator and what they call a condenser fan even though both are next to each other. These motors get weak over time and should be replaced.