POA valve testing

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Promod
Read the full article

POA valve testing

Post by Promod »

I had a question about the testing of a '69 Camaro POA valve. I successfully set up a similar valve for a '70 C10 truck to run R134 a couple years ago but I don't remember exactly how it acted when I was running the test on it. It seems as though the valve isn't fully opening after it cracks around 30 psi. It appears to initially crack correctly but if I continue to increase the pressure there is enough of a restriction that the gauge pressure will continue to climb almost to the level of the pressure on the inlet side, which is around 75 psi. So it seems like the POA valve is restricted more than it should be even when it opens. I would like to know whether or not I have a POA valve issue before I proceed any further on this A/C system project. Thanks for any feed back.

Joad
Dougflas

Re: POA valve testing

Post by Dougflas »

I had a test procedure with photos on the old board. You need a fitting to fit into the inlet of the POA. Connect this to the high side of your gauges. The middle hose of the guages goes to an air supply. DO NOT EXCEED 60 to 65 PSI inlet. Place the low side hose of the guages (Normally blue hose) on the side of the POA. SLOWLY crack open the high side handle. The low side should read 28 to 32 PSI (30 is golden) for R12. 25 for r134. If you increase the input PSI too much, you stand a good chance of rupturing the POA. Remember, these POA's are old and fragile.
Promod

Post by Promod »

Thanks for the reply. I got the test set-up procedure from this site and that was the way I tested my valve. Once the valve initially cracks at 30 psi should the gauge reading stay steady as I continue to open the valve? My valve does not appear to be ruptured because it holds pressure solid until it cracks.

Joad
ANDREWOK1

Post by ANDREWOK1 »

hi guys I gotlucky theother day on ebay I found this tool

Kent Moore J-26527 POA Valve Capsule in VIR Systems Air Conditioner
any I was able to get with DOUG at his SHOP ,he showed me the test procedure ,at the time the POA I had was unadjustable ,
I since then bought a adjustable valve ,folled DOUGS instructions to the T ,I was able to get it right at 25.5 ,so after I get all of this
system flused,hopfuly this week I will see how it goesfrom there THANKS DOUG =-AND THANKS TO THIS FORUM ANDY
GET IT !!! GOT IT !!!! GONE!!!!!!!!!!