Is my compressor bad?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

raschwar
Read the full article

Is my compressor bad?

Post by raschwar »

Hi. I'm new to this forum and to auto a/c. The system on my '97 Explorer has stopped working. At first the compressor would not engage. When I jumped the low pressure switch the compressor started short cycling: on for a second or two then off for about 4 seconds; on and on. I charged the low side to about 25 psi and when the compressor engaged the high side went to about 125. The compressor will stay engaged if I keep the engine at high rpm but as soon as it goes to idle the cycling return and the car practically stalls. The compressor is making a noise sort of like a swishing/grinding.

I'm wondering if I need a new compressor or if it's something else. I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Is my compressor bad?

Post by bohica2xo »

If it loads the engine to the point of stalling, it is trashed.

The debris from a compressor failure in that vehicle contaminates the condenser too - it is a piccolo type, and flushing is not cost effective.

A firewall forward replacement would be the best option.

raschwar

Post by raschwar »

Thanks for the quick reply. This may be a "duh" question but firewall forward includes evaporator, lines, the lot?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The condenser is likely full of debris. The evaporator is in the cabin, and is usually clean.

The hose set is a maybe. The high pressure lines are subject to contamination, but if they have no mufflers they can be cleaned out - just make sure any solvent used is completely removed. Bare & dry on anything you clean.

The accumulator should be replaced, they become saturated over time & it is a normal service item.

The orifice tube is a throw away filter. The chunks of compressor on the filter made it all the way through the condenser.

In a shop environment the "firewall forward" repair is something that can be done more cost effectively, and with a much better chance of long term customer satisfaction. New hoses (they are 20 years old) new condenser, new accumulator. No labor on flushing 20 year old parts.

raschwar

Post by raschwar »

It does make sense to do firewall forward; it's not something I want to do twice. Thanks guys.