AC in 98 Cavilier wont blow out cold air

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Evajo84
Read the full article

AC in 98 Cavilier wont blow out cold air

Post by Evajo84 »

So I checked the pressure in the system and added coolant as needed so that's good. Also put a new regulator in the fuse box, but my compressor won't turn on. What else could it be?
Jag987

Re: AC in 98 Cavilier wont blow out cold air

Post by Jag987 »

How was the pressure checked? If the system was not running, about all pressure will tell is that there is "some" refrigerant in the system. I look at one today that the pressure "looked good" until the compressor was turned on with the switch. Then low side dropped into vacuum. I only recovered about 2 ounces, yet the pressure looked good before the system was run. Recharged and found a leaky service port. The cap WAS missing on the same port.

The only real way to know if there is enough refrigerant in the system is to weigh it going in or coming out.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Evajo84

Post by Evajo84 »

I got an ac recharge kit with the gauge and used that to check the pressure. But didn't really know until my brother looked at it that the compressor wasn't turning on.
jeepsj

Post by jeepsj »

Are you talking one of those "kits" that is a can with a gauge on it that has a "green" zone for "good" pressure? If so, scrap it because it is worthless. Unless you have a good set of tools, including a QUALITY set of gauges, you will just be chasing your tail and not get good results. Forget all the "fix it in a can" crap and totally avoid anything that says stop leak.

If you want to learn and do it right, the people here are awesome.
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually
Evajo84

Post by Evajo84 »

Well I would like to learn. I just want to figure out why my compressor is not kicking on. I put in a new regulator and that didn't solve the problem. What else could it be?
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

What's a regulator?? Anyway- it takes 47 psi static pressure to engage compressor- as read by the pressure transducer on the high side line near the upsidedown high side port- you can always jumper the a/c relay socket to test compressor function...located in the relay center underhood.