Re-Installing Auto A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

superchargedv8
Read the full article

Re-Installing Auto A/C

Post by superchargedv8 »

I have a 1992 Ford Mustang that i want to re install a/c on. These cars came originally filled with R12 and use a FS6 style compressor if I'm not mistaken; auto parts list a Nippondenso 6P148A which I'm assuming is the same thing just different name for same compressor. I am wanting to switch to r134a. I have the stock compressor and was wondering if i can rebuild it to work with r134a, i was told that i needed different seals or else it would leak out the 134a since the molecular structure was smaller, was also told that the compressor was to small to work with r134a. So my question is if my compressor is in good shape can i rebuild my compressor to reliably work with 134a or will it leak out refrigerant?
superchargedv8

Re: Re-Installing Auto A/C

Post by superchargedv8 »

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jag987

Re: Re-Installing Auto A/C

Post by Jag987 »

The compressor should be fine, the condenser may need to be changed to a parallel flow type depending on what was there.

It sounds like the system has been apart for a while. If it was mine, and nothing was leaking when I took it apart, I would flush the system, replace all the O-rings and keep it running with R12. If converting to 134, I would flush the old oil from the system and replace the condenser. If the compressor was good, flush it with new oil and run it. If the seals are old and cracking in the compressor or it had been off for very long, I would replace it with a new one. The dryer and expansion device will need to be replaced and because eiter way I would flush the system, all the warranty requirements for a new compressor have been met.

This time of year, the board starts to become less active so replys may take a few days.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!