72 ranchero not cooling properly 134a system

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ANDREWOK1
Read the full article

72 ranchero not cooling properly 134a system

Post by ANDREWOK1 »

this was a inquiry I sent to autoacfourm

I am having problems cooling
Inquiry:

do you carry FORD POA VALVES,for 1972 ranchero .alpha compressor sounds good 10 cyl ,I bought a bypass tube ,system not getting cold enough ,134a charge 3lbs +2oz / 6in blade fan clutchless 1/2 in shroud 1/2 out shourd pulls shop rag to grill with hood closed ,good cooling ,suction 24/210 at 1500 rpm 90+ outside vent 48 -52 ,tried water on condenser seem to higher vent temp , York t-210 compressor ,running suction line with muffler to evap .everything is new ,I even tried different compressor /changed txv now thinking changing to alpha comp. poa valve adjusted to 20 psi ,I have even discounected the heater core as to be sure of heat leakage in evap box or in vents ,vent is closed tight as well if its over 75 outside its dose notcool
GET IT !!! GOT IT !!!! GONE!!!!!!!!!!
Dougflas

Re: 72 ranchero not cooling properly 134a system

Post by Dougflas »

POA should be adjusted to 26PSI; not 20. You do not want the evap to freeze up.
ANDREWOK1

Post by ANDREWOK1 »

I am sorry I was told the one poa bypass I bought from OLDAIRPRODUCTS WAS A DJUSTED TO 20 ,I HAVE NEVER HAD THE EVAP FREEZ ,AFTER ALL I POSTED WHAT WOULD YOU TRY,IAM SUPOSE TO GO ON A POWER TOURTO THEKEYS HERE IN FLORIDA ,I HAVE ABOUT I MONTH TO GET THIS BLOWING COLD
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Are you using a cycling clutch system or a POA system? When you state bypass, I am guessing you removed the POA and are making this a cycling clutch system, correct?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Dougflas, the way I read this is:

OP bought a 2 dollar tube from Old Air products to replace a $300 POA valve.

Now his A/C sucks. He no longer has / never had the POA valve.

I am betting that for their next act, they will tell him the tube is more modern, and that he should swap his old 12 CID compressor for a "modern" 9 CID compressor - giving up another 25% of cooling capacity...

OP:
You need a POA valve.
Charge the full refrigerant charge by weight. Yes, your high side will be a little higher with 134a, but the system is made to work with that volume of refrigerant.

Make sure you install an HPCO on the system.
ANDREWOK1

Post by ANDREWOK1 »

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/f ... &Year=1972

the valve listed on this site are what are on the car .yes cycling but never gets cold enough to cycle,so how do I get a real working POA ????????
AND YES I WAS TOLD TO REPLACE THE YORK ,but it is very strong ,and I do like the idea of high pressure cutoff
ANDREWOK1

Post by ANDREWOK1 »

can I get information on buying POA COMPRESSOR AND MOUNTING BRACKET FOR 351-C FOR THE ALPHA COMPRESSOR YOU SELL
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

OP

POA valves have been out of production for nearly 30 years. Your best bet is a NOS part.

Classic Air shows stock on NOS Ford POA valves:
http://www.classicautoair.com/POA-Ford-Valves-Home.html

I would leave the York on it.

Did you replace the TXV? Is it installed correctly?

How about some history on the system. Was it assembled & working poorly when you started? or was it missing parts & open to the atmosphere for a decade?
ANDREWOK1

Post by ANDREWOK1 »

when I bought the car I did a total restore, as for the a/c new hoses professionally made all of them ,new York ,new evap new condenser new txv ,new drier and used the poa bypass tube that I was told was good ,it has never gotten cold ,So the hose system was redone with a (muffler) in suction line like from factory,I would just like cold a/c ,every thing has been done right I believe the bypass tube needs replaced ,yes classic site says they have them
I spoke to Curtis he said to find one on line so I saw this forum ,and this is where iam -can I get a POA rebuilt by this moble air outfit
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

I do not think this sponser has POA's. If Classic has them as NOS (new old stock) grab one.