how much oil?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

cityboy21
Read the full article

how much oil?

Post by cityboy21 »

I have a 2005 cadillac deville that had a leaking hose from the compressor to the condenser. I was told at my last charge that the compressor was failing. So I decided to replace almost the entire system - all hoses, compressor, condenser, and dryer. I know the system takes 8 oz of oil - and the compressor comes with 2.7. Can I just put all the needed remaining oil into the dryer when I reassemble? Or should I add it to the compressor? Some instructions call for partial amounts in condenser, dryer, and such - but that is for individual component replacement. I thought the sole purpose for oil is to lubricate the compressor.
HECAT

Re: how much oil?

Post by HECAT »

I would recommend to inspect (clean or replace) the control orifice (OT or TXV), flush the evaporator, and dump the shipping oil from the compressor. Then you can add the full 8 oz. of fresh oil. You can distribute the oil or put it all in the compressor. Just be sure to rotate the compressor well before start up. The oil migrates thru the system back to the compressor; the entire system needs to be clean, as it is a lubrication loop.
Karl Matis
www.hecatinc.com

Please support this Forum
Buy your A/C products at www.ackits.com
cityboy21

Post by cityboy21 »

Thanks a bunch for the help. I have an ok compressor ( 20 gallon) in my garage, do you think that would be sufficient to blow out the evaporator after I flush it?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

cityboy21 wrote:Thanks a bunch for the help. I have an ok compressor ( 20 gallon) in my garage, do you think that would be sufficient to blow out the evaporator after I flush it?
That should be fine, flush the solvent out, then keep flushing with air after that, maybe longer than you think. You will always smell some residual solvent after you're done, the nose is very sensitive; and when you pull your vacuum for like 45 minutes, any remaining solvent vapors should get sucked out.

I also say to drain all new compressors so you can add a KNOWN amount instead of guessing or trusting.
cityboy21

Post by cityboy21 »

Thank you for the help.