Looking for advice before I change the compressor on 2007 Dodge Nitro

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

lagniappe
Read the full article

Looking for advice before I change the compressor on 2007 Dodge Nitro

Post by lagniappe »

Hello, before I spend 1000 at my local shop I wanted to at least throw a few posts out there and try to see if an auto A/C veteran could give me a pointer on something to maybe try.

My wife has a 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0 (She got the vehicle before we got together) -
In 2014, the a/c system got a complete overhaul. Compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, etc.
4 months later, they had to replace the condenser.

then 4 months after that, the compressor had to be replaced again, this was in early 2015.

Now, her A/C is not working properly. The pressure measurements are extremely high, and the compressor is spraying freon all over when the vehicle is revved up.

Prior to taking it to the shop it's sitting in now, I had a guy replace the expansion valve and change all the o-rings.

So now, the people at the shop I took it to want to change the compressor. (But, I feel like it's one of those jobs that benefits shops in hot climates, and that there may be an easier fix.)

Any advice would be appreciated, (I'm in Louisiana)
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Looking for advice before I change the compressor on 2007 Dodge Nitro

Post by Tim »

I do not believe this compressor has a relief valve on it. But might double check the back of the compressor. Question I have, is compressor is leaking refrigerant badly when operating. Is someone just adding more and more refrigerant? What are the pressures? Are the electric fans coming on correctly? Compressors don;t fail this often unless something else is a factor.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum