Old Car Hybrid System Issue

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jweb47
Read the full article

Old Car Hybrid System Issue

Post by jweb47 »

Sorry if this has been asked...Working on my 69 Camaro that has a POA 134 system. It hadn't been driven since 7/14 due to a transmission issue that I just repaired and noticed the AC wasn't cold. After evacuating the system and adding some Freon, the gauges stayed at 100/98 (LO/HI) so I shut everything down. At first I assumed it was the compressor then I started suspecting the POA or Expansion valve. At this point I'm thinking Exp valve or compressor. What do you think? Thanks
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Old Car Hybrid System Issue

Post by Cusser »

Is your compressor actually engaging/turning, or just the outer pulley ?
jweb47

Post by jweb47 »

It is engaging...
mk378

Post by mk378 »

Turning by hand, does it just spin real easy like nothing is moving inside? I think the shaft can snap inside then it spins but won't pump.
jweb47

Post by jweb47 »

I'm pretty sure the compressor is pumping under load due to the drag on the engine just as the idle solenoid kicks in but I will confirm today.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

A coupler issue.

When you pushed it on, the coupler traveled far enough to bump the schrader valve open. The gauge hose fills with gas at static pressure. You see pressure, but it never changes...

With the system running, pull the lock ring back on the high side coupler, and push it on a little more. Look at the gauge when you do this.
jweb47

Post by jweb47 »

So, you want it to loose the seal momentarily then re lock the connector?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

No, hold the seal.

The connector traveled on to the post farther that it sits when locked when you installed it. The can momentarily depress the schrader valve, and fill the hose with a static charge of refrigerant. You get a static gauge reading that does not reflect the system pressure.

All you need to do is release the lock balls and push it down more to see if it is opening the schrader valve at that point. The tolerance stack-up on parts can lead to a connector & port that does not depress the schrader when locked - but gets a short burst when installing it.

jweb47

Post by jweb47 »

I understand what you're saying now. Everything is new including the gauge connectors and the ports on the car. I had just done a check on my wife's 2015 Accord and it worked properly but I'll check it again this afternoon. Thanks
jweb47

Post by jweb47 »

They appear to be working correctly with no difference when manipulating the connector.