Brand new setup, compressor not sucking down

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

texas240
Read the full article

Re: Brand new setup, compressor not sucking down

Post by texas240 »

GM Tech wrote:Mist the condenser with a garden hose- if pressures come down , you have an air flow across the condenser issue- as in blockage or bad fan or fan clutch.
I highly doubt this is an issue since the condenser is the first thing in front but I'll give it try to rule that being a solution
Film Producer/ Art Department w/ 1993 volvo 245 Lsx swap
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Did you evacuate it after you got the couplers working properly?

Air in the system will cause high pressures & poor cooling.
texas240

Post by texas240 »

bohica2xo wrote:Did you evacuate it after you got the couplers working properly?

Air in the system will cause high pressures & poor cooling.
I thought I did, I can always evacuate the system again.. I bought enough freon to do this a few times over. It makes it any easier I can take it to shop and let it be their problem with my money
texas240

Post by texas240 »

Decided to swallow my pride and take the car into a shop that I thought was reputable. They did get my front alignment corrected.

A/c was indeed low on some freon as I expected but is still doing the something as before. Cold air at idle, give any kind of throttle tip in or gas and the air coming out of the vents gets warm or warmer as the rpm's go up. High side is at 275 psi and I cant remember was low side is.

Any thoughts? A/c guy said vacuum leak is causing warm air due to a heater valve opening but heater valve is controlled by cable so bullshit on that. I am completely out of ideas. Only thing I can think of is any kind of throttle and the compressor could be shutting off but I have not yet confirmed that yet. SO PEOPLE... WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR ME?????
wptski

Post by wptski »

I think some do have a open throttle A/C cutoff. I had a 1979 Toyota 4x4 mini-pickup and the A/C cut off when at idle speed.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Engine swap cars can have little surprises...

You have an LS swap - so some detail would help

Which compressor are you using? Or what was the donor car?

What are you using for a condenser?

Is the PCM controlling the compressor? Or is the compressor wired to the OEM Volvo circuit?

Are there any vacuum controlled parts in the Volvo HVAC system?
texas240

Post by texas240 »

bohica2xo wrote:Engine swap cars can have little surprises...

You have an LS swap - so some detail would help

Which compressor are you using? Or what was the donor car?

What are you using for a condenser?

Is the PCM controlling the compressor? Or is the compressor wired to the OEM Volvo circuit?

Are there any vacuum controlled parts in the Volvo HVAC system?
If you look at the first post you will see most of the details.

The compressor I am using is 10S17F from a 2004 2004 Avalanche on a 2004 5.3L LM7 Avalanche engine.

The condenser I am using is a single parallel flow condenser. Could possibly be a double parallel flow since the fittings are on the same side. http://www.ebay.com/itm/122038268964?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The compressor is wired to the oem volvo circuit and the only vacuum controlled items in the car are vents and fresh air/recirc air. I have checked for compressor kicking on when tip into throttle which it does not do and vacuum leaks or issues with vents cutting out or recirc/ fresh air. The only we notice is that the compressor is staying on and not circulating on/off.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Is the Condenser plumbed the right way? Installed right side up?

The only way we can do this sort of thing on a message board is with lots of data.

What are the high & low side pressures at idle?

What about at full load? - Doors open,cabin fan on highest speed. Raise engine speed to 1800 RPM, and hold it there for one minute. While the engine is still @ 1800, record the high & low side pressure.

texas240

Post by texas240 »

bohica2xo wrote:Is the Condenser plumbed the right way? Installed right side up?

The only way we can do this sort of thing on a message board is with lots of data.

What are the high & low side pressures at idle?

What about at full load? - Doors open,cabin fan on highest speed. Raise engine speed to 1800 RPM, and hold it there for one minute. While the engine is still @ 1800, record the high & low side pressure.

I agree. When I wake up and after the dog gets a grooming I'll get all the info you need. I'll have to for my gf to come play second fiddle more