Pressure testing a compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

wptski
Read the full article

Re: Pressure testing a compressor

Post by wptski »

I held the top case section with a strap wrench to remove the mounting flange only. The put a seal protector over the shaft trying to save/reuse the seal. I forgot that there is hole which the shaft passes through behind the seal a short distance. Using a gear puller on the end of the seal protector, it ran into that hole, curled over and split!

I discovered a nick on the lip where the case "O" rings seats right where I had the leak and filed it off. Figuring the seal might be toast, I pulled the seal protector back out. I didn't have a new seal but figured I try to see if it held pressure anyways.

I cleaned the tie bolts and surfaces real good but have no idea about the leak(s) at bolt heads. There is a copper washer but are they like compression washers on automotive brake systems and hold pressure much higher(>1000psi) than a A/C system??

I assembled it and put 200psi of nitrogen on it. After 24 hrs it looked like it may have dropped only 1psi but that may be due to parallax viewing error. Four more days later and it hasn't changed one bit. Amazing that the seal wasn't damaged severely but I might submerge it in water again. I'll probably wait till spring to install it again.

This has turned into a blog!