Newbie with questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

GonHuntin
Read the full article

Newbie with questions

Post by GonHuntin »

Did a search but didn't find all the info I'm seeking.

I have a 1968 Camaro with factory air and have questions.

I have owned this car since 1979 and the a/c has never worked. My father had the the system worked on in 1980 and I know they replaced the poa valve at that time but it did not fix the system. That is the only time that the system has had any work since I've owned it, it remains completely intact.

I am preparing to do a LS1 engine swap in the camaro and would like to get the a/c converted to 134a and working, but I know just enough to be dangerous. I have a complete 2002 Trans Am "donor car" (wrecked) with 58k miles and the a/c works. I have read that the TA uses a variable displacement compressor and that it would be better to use a fixed displacement compressor for my system? I plan to use the trans am condenser if it will fit (will fabricate mounts). Don't know what else I can use from the trans am a/c system?

Current plan is to use a sanden sd7 compressor and holley mounting bracket and I'd really like to retain the factory camaro evaporator. I figure I'll need new hoses, drier/accumulator and maybe pressure valve?

Some of the research I've done says to calibrate the poa valve and run it, some says to eliminate the poa valve and replace with an update kit like this: Image, and some says to replace with an orifice tube but doesn't say how??

I'm hoping you folks can walk me through what needs to be done (kindergarten explanation) and maybe recommend a good shop or tech, in the Tulsa, OK area, to help me get it charged and up and running when I get everything bolted together.

Thanks Mark
GonHuntin

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by GonHuntin »

Anybody??
mk378

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by mk378 »

Variable displacement compressor is better. It will emulate the operation of a POA valve system and run without cycling. You can remove the valve and use the POA eliminator kit as a pipe fitting (do not hook up the switch), or when you make up hoses just bypass it entirely.

If you find the pressure is zero it is a good idea to conduct a static leak test before taking anything apart. Then you will know if the evaporator or other parts you plan to save are leaky.