AC overhaul pressure problem

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

wptski
Read the full article

Re: AC overhaul pressure problem

Post by wptski »

Cusser wrote:Not sure why such bypass would be needed, as factory system would have AC clutch engaged all that time anyway, unless malfunctioning. If there's moisture in the air, a too-cold evaporator would freeze moisture condensed from the air, blocking the air flow unless compressor was allowed to cycle so such ice would melt.

Question for professionals: if such system was allowed to have compressor run but little evaporation of refrigerant occurred in the evaporator (due to low air flow), wouldn't that mean that possibly liquid refrigerant would get back to compressor, and subsequently damage that ???
Well, they cycle somewhat above 32F or it seems so from vent temperature so I guess they were trying to squeeze the coldest output possible.
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Delphi tech
The scroll compressor can run liquid slugs all day because of the compliant eccentric with swing link that allows the scrolls to separate which allows tangential leakage with abnormal liquid.
Tested 4 times at Lockport with TRS120 scroll on LT and monster condenser which provided 29,000 BTU at 55mph with 4.11 diff.
Basically, the 508/5H14 doesn't have competitive displacement compared to R4 refrigeration capacity at the same rpm
hotrodac
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

ice-n-tropics wrote: Basically, the 508/5H14 doesn't have competitive displacement compared to R4 refrigeration capacity at the same rpm
hotrodac
And that is exactly why I told him to test at 2200 rpm, instead of 1500 rpm. 8 CID vs 12 CID.

How is the hog hunting?
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Brad,
Hogs are scarce now. See sows with piglets now and then. Big swamp rabbits instead of Boars keep my Lab fed. Need to take care of Yote, bob cat and cow bird problem. Foxes but not a problm.
Your always welcome here, but bring your varmint calls
Named land "Dogwood Wildlife Stewardship"(my employer copied Adam's job description)
Dove season Sept 1 next priority
hotrodac