How much oil

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rattrapsc
Read the full article

How much oil

Post by rattrapsc »

2000 Malibu V5 compressor. I am going to replace belly/case seals. Before installing compressor back on vehicle how many oz of oil should I put in compressor. I have researched and found several different suggestions, so I'm not sure. However most suggest that the oil be added to the suction side hole on compressor while manually rotating the shaft by hand. Is this correct, and how many oz of oil?
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: How much oil

Post by JohnHere »

Easiest way is to drain the compressor, measure what comes out, and refill with same after repairs are completed.

Otherwise, I'd figure one ounce each for the condenser and evaporator, one-half ounce for the accumulator/dryer, and maybe another one-half ounce for the lines, which of course is already in the system.

Since the total system capacity is 9 ounces of PAG 150, that leaves about 6 ounces of oil that you'll have to put back into the compressor.

The process you describe for adding the oil to the empty compressor sounds valid.

According to my references, the refrigerant capacity is 36 ounces of R134a.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.