How to replace ac suction/discharge assembly on 2005 Ford Expedition

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Harlee
Read the full article

How to replace ac suction/discharge assembly on 2005 Ford Expedition

Post by Harlee »

We recently bought a 2005 Expedition. Air blew cold during test ride (of course), but soon that disappeared. We took it in for a diagnostic to pin down the source and found out it was the AC suction/discharge assembly. The system is empty at this point. They wanted at least $550 to replace, and if the "problem was more extensive (Compressor, etc...) it would be closer to $1200-$1300 to repair. On a budget, so having the shop do the work is out. I ordered the part, it all looks pretty straight forward. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this is a first for me. Can anyone offer up some info/advice/tutorial for this project???

Many thanks!! It's hot out and we haul around our little ones, so AC is a must have!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: How to replace ac suction/discharge assembly on 2005 Ford Expedition

Post by JohnHere »

The hose/manifold assembly is prone to leakage on your vehicle. Part of the assembly can rub-through on the timing cover and cause a loss of refrigerant...probably what happened here.

We don't know the vehicle's history, but hopefully, that's the only major part that will need to be replaced. I also advise changing the receiver/dryer and adding an ounce of the appropriate oil before buttoning everything up.

The green o-rings that you'll need to make all the connections should come with the manifold and R/D. If not, you'll have to buy those separately. Be sure to lube the o-rings with refrigerant oil or even better, blue Nylog, before installing them.

I believe you'll have to remove the compressor from below to take off the old parts and install the new ones...not a quick-and-easy job.

If you don't have the know-how and specialized equipment to properly evacuate and recharge the system after making the repairs, you'll have to take the vehicle back to the shop for that part.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.