Pressure Relief Valve?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

SlickGA
Read the full article

Pressure Relief Valve?

Post by SlickGA »

Trying to replace the pressure relief valve on a 2015 Tahoe's compressor. The OE valve seems to be aluminum, but the only after-market varieties I can find are brass. The after-market ones also seem to have a longer threaded shaft part than the OE, and slightly different tapering before the hex nut. They aren't "vehicle specific" -- and even have nested bolt adapters to allow for different applications. Needless to say, I cannot get the after-market valve to properly seat and squish the o-ring to seal against the compressor -- it bottoms out against the compressor (metal on metal) before adequately squishing the o-ring.

Are the aluminum OE variety only available on new compressors?

Are these valves at all re-useable (or are they toast after blowing once?)

The issues leading to the blow-out of the valve have been solved, and the system works great otherwise, but until I find a way to consistently plug this hole in the side of the compressor with something that won't leak, I'm only good for a few hours.

thanks
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Pressure Relief Valve?

Post by bohica2xo »

In theory, the HPRV should re-seat after opening. Sometimes they do not.

If you have a valve that fits, but the threaded portion is bottoming out before the O ring seals you can probably trim the threads to the length of the part it is replacing.

The site sponsor should have the right one available. http://www.ackits.com/ 602-233-0090

Posting pics of what valve you have is a good idea too