2012 elantra

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

bvanpraet
Read the full article

2012 elantra

Post by bvanpraet »

I have a 2012 elantra, my wife told me this week the blower is not blowing cold air. Finally got around to checking it today,

After a little bit of troubleshooting i found the issue to be at the compressor. No voltage was being sent to the compressor. Checked fuses anything that said a/c, all were okay under the hood and in cab compartment. Checked clutch with a variable power supply, clutch fired!

Next, i started vehicle and ran a/c on max, wondering if there was maybe a freon leak or an evap issue and maybe my ecg was telling my clutch not to engage because of this. So i engaged my clutch manually, and was blowing ice cold air almost instantly, ran it for 4-5 minutes, no issues what so ever! My wife had been trying to run the a/c all week.

Any ideas what could be telling my clutch not to engage? Im guessing i have a faulty sensor some-where. Really dont want to take it to dealership.

Im leaning towards an evap sensor, with the temp control to max a/c i get warm air 32C, if i come off max cold i get hot air. when i manually engaded clutch i think i got like some 12-13degrees.

Thanks!
robtemple

Re: 2012 elantra

Post by robtemple »

Often it's the A/C relay, located in the junction/relay box in the engine compartment. Give the relays a little "love-tap" and see if it causes the a/c clutch to engage. If so, replace the relay.
Regards
2012 Elantra ac clutch relay diagram.gif
2012 Elantra ac clutch relay diagram.gif (17.11 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2012 elantra

Post by Cusser »

bvanpraet wrote: So i engaged my clutch manually, and was blowing ice cold air almost instantly, ran it for 4-5 minutes, no issues what so ever! My wife had been trying to run the a/c all week.
In general, that's too long to engage an AC clutch by bypassing the protective circuits, one could cause damage if refrigerant was too low to move the oil.

Time to troubleshoot why the AC clutch is not engaging on its own, there are numerous things that can cause this; get an AC wiring diagram/service manual, or take to a pro.