A/C Pressure Transducer = Proper Replacement Procedure

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

lothian
Read the full article

A/C Pressure Transducer = Proper Replacement Procedure

Post by lothian »

2006 Hyundai Azera

Q: Do I need to discharge the system prior to removing the A/C pressure transducer?

The A/C in this Azera stopped working; specifically, the compressor does not engage. The clutch engages with direct power applied to it. Pressures on high and low side read nominal per Hyundai service manual. I believe I've traced the problem to the A/C pressure transducer (voltages read abnormal per Hyundai Service Manual spec).

I have a known-good pressure transducer I'd like to swap in place of the existing. However, the service manual instructions are somewhat anemic regarding the removal procedure for this system component--see image below.

I want to know: Do I need to discharge the system prior to removing the A/C pressure transducer? I expect some refrigerant will escape as I untread the pressure transducer from its fitting on the high pressure line. The service manual makes no mention of the need to discharge the system, but my intuition gives me pause. And so I post my question here.

MAX HEADWORK

Re: A/C Pressure Transducer = Proper Replacement Procedure

Post by MAX HEADWORK »

Typically, the A/C system does not need to be evacuated prior to removing the A/C pressure switch. This is because there is a Schrader valve built into the switch mount. Unscrew the transducer and install the new one.