How much oil do I put in Compressor?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

marsjn
Read the full article

How much oil do I put in Compressor?

Post by marsjn »

I hope I'm in the right place, Here goes.. A couple of year ago I purchase a kit off a Ebay for my 1997 Ford Explorer which consisted of Compressor, Expansion Valve, Drier, O-rings and Oil. After it sat on the shelf for a year I disconnected the hoses and flushed the Condenser, Evaporator and hoses. I installed the new parts. My system calls for 7 oz's of oil. I put 3 oz in the compressor and the remaining 4 oz in the other systems. I put the system on vac overnight with a vacuum pump and used a gauge kit I got from Harbor Freight. I added freon and the system worked fine for a while and then quit cooling. I added dye and new freon and found that the new compressor was leaking around the circumference where the two haves were bolted together. I contacted the company but the compressor was a couple weeks out of warranty and they would not replace it. After another year I finally got a new compressor from Autozone and I'm ready to install it. My question is, how much oil should I put in the new compressor? I don't really want to flush the entire system again if I don't have to.
kell490

Re: How much oil do I put in Compressor?

Post by kell490 »

Usually they come with the correct oil or in the instructions say how much to add to just the compressor.