Adding oil after full system replacement

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Gcostanza
Read the full article

Adding oil after full system replacement

Post by Gcostanza »

Hello,
I'm in the process of replacing the components on my 2007 Honda Pilot. Compressor, condenser, evap core, expansion valve and some if the lines. After I install everything I'm gonna leave everything capped and take it to a shop for flushing of remaining lines and vac/charge. The system calls for 9 oz of oil. Compressor came with 3 oz. what's the proper procedure for adding the remaining oil? Or should I let the shop add the rest? Thanks in advance.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Adding oil after full system replacement

Post by Cusser »

I'm wondering why you feel more needs to be flushed, with all those brand-new components.

Hopefully you confirmed that 3 oz. of oil in the compressor and didn't take that on trust. If so, add 6 more oz.; if it's all buttoned up already, then lot the shop add the remaining oil and do the rest.
Gcostanza

Post by Gcostanza »

Basically just one line and the two stubs going through the firewall to evap core need flushed. I just ordered a flush gun so I'm gonna do it myself now. I did confirm 3 oz in the compressor but have not installed it yet. Is there a risk with starting out with 9 oz in the comp? Also is the double end capped pag 46 a suitable replacement for the ND-8 that's it's supposedly shipped with. I typically stick with Honda fluids but $50 for 8 oz seems steep. Thanks
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Gcostanza wrote:Basically just one line and the two stubs going through the firewall to evap core need flushed. I just ordered a flush gun so I'm gonna do it myself now.
George Costanza - good, flush those two lines then.

Gcostanza wrote:Is there a risk with starting out with 9 oz in the comp?
Yes, do not engage the compressor without proper amount of oil in the system: add the remainder of the oil to the compressor, then turn the compressor like 10 times by hand or with wrench. Oil will end up distributed.

Gcostanza wrote:Also is the double end capped pag 46 a suitable replacement for the ND-8 that's it's supposedly shipped with. I typically stick with Honda fluids but $50 for 8 oz seems steep.
I'm not knowledgeable-enough in that subject.
Gcostanza

Post by Gcostanza »

This job just got much bigger. I didn't realize this car had a rear ac so now I have to rip the interior apart to access those lines and apparently another expansion valve. Gonna be fun
Gcostanza

Post by Gcostanza »

I'm assuming since this rear evap is part of the system(#34) I should replace it as well? $400 is the cheapest I've found. Any other items I should replace? Thanks and sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right.
Attachments
IMG_0624.GIF
IMG_0624.GIF (35.58 KiB) Viewed 7460 times