Thanks for the add and RV2 questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

hitparader
Read the full article

Thanks for the add and RV2 questions

Post by hitparader »

Hello, thanks for adding me to this forum. I'm working on the restoration of a '70 Dodge (RV2 system) and ran across a few things I haven't seen before.

First, what is everyone's take on flushing suction-side mufflers? These RV2 systems have big inline mufflers on both the suction and discharge side. They seem totally unavailable as NOS or aftermarket pieces nowadays, but they are important for a factory-correct appearance in this resto. I know the discharge muffler should not be flushed, but what about the suction side?

My second questions is related, because during disassembly, I noted all lines were relatively clean except for the suction line between the evaporator and the muffler. I found a decent amount of dirty oil and rust in that line, but the line from the muffler out to the compressor was clean. All other lines were also clean with no rust and clear oil. Txv was clean, as was the compressor inlet screen. I haven't removed the evap yet and not looking forward to that. Any thoughts on why so much bad stuff in that one line? Thank you.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Thanks for the add and RV2 questions

Post by bohica2xo »

Several ways to deal with this issue, but it depends on the actual muffler in question.

Mopar bought parts on the open market & used whatever was in hand - so if you cold post pics of the mufflers you are dealing with it would be a big help.

As far as the trash in that line, it has the lowest velocity in the system. Stuff tends to drop out there.
hitparader

Post by hitparader »

Thank you for your fast reply. Here's a photo prior to disassembly. I didn't see any identifying marks on it but admittedly did not look closely.
IMG_3130.JPG
IMG_3130.JPG (47.37 KiB) Viewed 13552 times
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

I usually gut those. It is easier on the ones with a tube that goes straight through - I bore the tube out & run a tube straight through the can & braze the tube to the ends of the can. It still looks OEM for a 100 point car - just a straight through tube in reality.

With the angle fitting on one end a little finesse should get the fitting off of the can. Then silver solder or braze a tube in to the angle block, run the tube through the bored out can, etc.

At least you have rubber lines. It is harder to duplicate the nylon with outer brain Mopar sometimes used.

Here are some tips for putting newer barrier hose on old fittings:
http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview. ... adid=14922

Good luck with your project
hitparader

Post by hitparader »

Thank again, I never thought of doing it that way. I've never really understood what was inside those mufflers anyway. Now I can get maximum thump!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Just getting ready to deal with this Mopar gem myself:

hitparader

Post by hitparader »

Nice...from a smallblock car? B-body?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

'65 A body V8 car - Barracuda

I like my big headaches in small packages.
hitparader

Post by hitparader »

Sorry to re-hydrate an old thread, but I did a little forensic dissection old RV2 I pulled out of this one - looks like someone left the a/c on when drag racing...
4680_n.jpg
4680_n.jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 13145 times
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Wow. Good thing Mopar used two belts so that compressor could not slip @ 7000 engine rpm...

Great pic, thanks for sharing. Never a problem here to add to your thread.