Clutch squeals something awful

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Drake57
Read the full article

Clutch squeals something awful

Post by Drake57 »

On 2011 1/2 ton dodge pickup with 3.7L V6. This happens when AC has not been running (no built up head pressure). Clutch attempts to engage, input shaft to compressor is turning slowly for a few seconds, squealing badly, then engagement happens, sometimes chirping happens after engagement, it seems to be slipping.

Vehicle has 38,000 miles. Compressor seems to be binding, turning compressor by hand seems to require more force than it should, even after high pressure has had time to bleed down. It seems as if the input should turn fairly easily for a turn or two, if no pressure exists.

When clutch is not slipping, compressor is whisper quiet, system cools normally. Vehicle belongs to a friend of my wife's. I hate to give her the bad news, but it sure seems like the compressor's heading south.

Does this seem familiar to any one? Thanks, Drake.
Drake57

Re: Clutch squeals something awful

Post by Drake57 »

Is there any way to determine if fault is with clutch or compressor?

Thanks!
Drake57

Post by Drake57 »

I suppose I could measure the pressure, to know for certain that head pressure bleeds down.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

1)
Are you sure it is the clutch, and not the belt? Oil on the belt? Old or worn belt?

2)
There is no real reason for the system to "Build up head" with the compressor off. What are the system operating pressures, ambient & vent temps?
It is difficult to diagnose a system without pressures.

3)
If you do indeed find high pressures in the system high side with the compressor stopped, you probably have a blockage. Pull the TXV and see what it looks like.
Chipdumper

Post by Chipdumper »

Drake57 wrote:Does this seem familiar to any one? Thanks, Drake.
Did you resolve this issue yet? I just posted a similar matter with a Ford Crown Victoria. Same signs and symptoms.