High side line temp from comp thru condensor and up to h block

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

my2monkeys
Read the full article

High side line temp from comp thru condensor and up to h block

Post by my2monkeys »

89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
low 45
high 300 to 350
95*f
register temp 60 to 65*f

My question is should the high side line temp get cooler in the middle of condensor on its way to dryer.
Inlet to comp is too hot to touch.
Outlet is warm to hot and can be touched
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: High side line temp from comp thru condensor and up to h block

Post by GM Tech »

If the condenser s doing its job the temp should drop from inlet to outlet-- thus "condensing" occurs-- that is why it is set up to have air blown across it- to cool the refrigerant inside that allows it to change state- from a gas to liquid....if there were no cooling- there would be hot gas traveling up to your h block- which would be detrimental to the cooling ability....
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

my2monkeys wrote:My question is should the high side line temp get cooler in the middle of condensor on its way to dryer.
Inlet to comp is too hot to touch. Outlet is warm to hot and can be touched
At the inlet to the condenser, the refrigerant is a hot gas. As the refrigerant gets cooled by the condenser (sheds some heat to the atmosphere by air passing through its fins), it condenses to be a hot liquid. So it does lose some temperature in the process, but it needs to be liquid so it can absorb heat from the evaporator to turn back into a gaseous state, thus cooling the evaporator.

So refrigerant being in liquid state as it leaves the condenser is much more important that its actual temperature.

my2monkeys wrote:89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
low 45
high 300 to 350
95*f
register temp 60 to 65*f
What rpm were these measured at? Your pressures look high, so is your vent temperature. How's your fan clutch? All shrouding in place? Was system evacuated before filling with refrigerant? Was the refrigerant added by weight? Is your system still R-12 or did you or "someone" convert it to R134a?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Should have a twin fan set-up. One mechanical and one electric. These were never good conversions without an upgraded condenser. I would bet wetting the condenser pressures will come down and vent temps as well.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
my2monkeys

Post by my2monkeys »

Ok so, new compressor, h block, dryer, stock condenser but flushed well.
1500 rpms at those pressures
R134a conversation by me at this time
Charged by 30lb jug MY PROBLEM IS OVERCHARGING NOT SCALING THE GAS UNTIL AFTER :shock:

My brother is a HVAC tech and has a recovefy setup
Whats the best way to recharge after recovery and evacuation?
Liquid through the high side service valve by weight with scale?
Or gas through suction side?
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Hey Tim, don't wet the condenser like I wetted the wooden floor boards in my MG when they caught fire from the hot exhaust in the boon docks. Stinks!
Condenser can be considered 3 different heat dissapators:
1) Top is desuperheater at decreasing gas only temps with sensible heat exchange without change of state
2) center is almost constant temp latent heat exchange from change of state from 100% gas to 100% liquid
3) bottom is subcooler at decreasing liquid only temp with sensible heat exchange and no change of state
hotrodac