97 Honda Civic Evaporator freezing up

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Drkknight938
Read the full article

97 Honda Civic Evaporator freezing up

Post by Drkknight938 »

Like the title says, I have a 97 civic with ac that blows very well. Recently had the compressor and drier replaced and evacuated and recharged by my mechanic. The problem is after about 45 minutes of driving with air on recirculation, condensation and ice will start blowing from the vents and air flow is massively decreased. After turning it off for a bit it continues to function properly. Also if run without recirculation, the system does not freeze up. I suspect there is something preventing the compressor from turning off but I am not sure. Is there a thermostat or something similar that will prevent this freezing up? Thanks in advance
mk378

Re: 97 Honda Civic Evaporator freezing up

Post by mk378 »

Yes there is a thermostat. If you remove the glove compartment you will see a little box on top of the evaporator box with a three wire plug, and two gray wires permanently attached to it that go to the sensor which is pushed directly into the evaporator. I think you have to remove the evaporator box to replace it, which requires recovering the refrigerant and disconnecting the lines under the hood.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... IT+%281%29

Part #21.

Check that unplugging the 3 wire plug on the thermostat does indeed make the compressor stop. Someone may have hotwired something to bypass the thermostat.