Accumulator not sweating

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

bullfrog_28560
Read the full article

Accumulator not sweating

Post by bullfrog_28560 »

Hey all, friend has a 2005ish Dodge ram 1500. He replaced the compressor, accumulator and orifice tube assembly with expansion valve. he was having issues with cans to charge it so I put my gauges on and charged it, pulled vacuum first though. the low side going into the firewall and evaporator core was sweating, but the line coming out to the accumulator was not and was warm. When i was charging it, the high side pressures were maxed, but then settled down to normal, Low side was great, but the vents blow barely cool air. was running it for 10 minutes and still the accumulator was not sweating. He pulled the lines to see if the evap core was clogged, and it is not. there is a restricted air flow in the orifice tube because of the expansion valve, but how much resriction is correct. Being the components are new, should be correct. Would too much oil be the problem. When he replaced the compressor, the seal blew on the compressor. Still added the 4OZ for the compressor. Just looking for additional ideas. Thanks
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: Accumulator not sweating

Post by GM Tech »

Expansion valve systems use receivers, not accumulators.... never seen anyone replace an OT with an expansion valve and be happy...go back to OT and use original design.....
bullfrog_28560

Post by bullfrog_28560 »

I may have misspoke on the naming, but it is a receiver/drier all items were replaced with correct pieces. but still the question is why the drier is not sweating. it should be.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Driers should not be sweating. Driers are located after the condenser. How about some photos of the engine bay so we can actually see the components.
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

Ditto: Sweating only occurs beyond any expansion devices- on low side, not in front of them as is a receiver/drier (RD) which is on high side
bullfrog_28560

Post by bullfrog_28560 »

I was hoping not to be critiqued on my naming of the parts, but none the less, attached are the pics of the items that seem to be named incorrectly. The hose pic has the orifice tube inside and the drier/accumulator which ever is pictured as well. I cannot include pics of his engine compartment because he is not in my town. But the liquid line coming off the compressor goes into the firewall in the evaporator core, then the out line of the evap core goes into the drier/accum(which ever) the low side port is on the drier/accum. the hose(orifice tube assembly) comes off the drier/accum to another hose to the condensor, then back to the compressor.
Attachments
55057016AA-0-ANG.jpg
55057016AA-0-ANG.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 16395 times
55055960AD_0001.jpg
55055960AD_0001.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 16395 times
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

ok, that is the accumulator. Pls do not call it a drier as it will confuse me/us. The temperature of the tubing that leaves the evaporator to the accumulator needs to be measured with a clamp on type thermometer. Do not use an infared especially when the lines are black due to error. The other line This of the evap is connected to the line with the orfice tube. This needs to be measured. The lines at the evap should be the same and the one to the accumulator can be a few degrees colder. Doors/windows open, engine rpm 1500, max blower speed, max cool setting on dash. Tell us the ambient temp and humidity. High and low side pressures. Make sure clutch is engaged. The orfice tube assy does not have an expansion valve. That is a total different type system.
bullfrog_28560

Post by bullfrog_28560 »

the thermometer you speak of i do not own and do not plan to buy one. I am just looking for ideas of why the accumulator is not cold like the liquid line going into the evaporator core in the cab. thinking there was a clog, pulled the lines and blew through it with air, yes air near the shade tree not nitrogen, and he said there are no restrictions.
mk378

Post by mk378 »

If you didn't charge by weight, you may be undercharging it trying to keep the high side down, because there's a condenser issue (worn out fan clutch etc) that would be apparent with a full charge.

Most systems don't get really fully cold at idle anyway.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

mk is right on track. The line going into the accumulator must be cold indicating that the evap is what we call flooded.