Tractor AC Repair

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

PSBHouston
Read the full article

Tractor AC Repair

Post by PSBHouston »

I need some advice please. First some history.

A year ago I replaced the evaporator on cabin tractor system. Was corroded due to high acid dust etc that got past the filter. Replaced expansion valve and drier - worked like a champ!!!!

Now - started working poorly - decided since it had 2200 hrs on tractor and I hate being hot - replaced the compressor / condenser / expansion valve / drier. I flushed the hoses but did not flush evaporator. Nothing seemed the least bit dirty or trash - and I am not convinced that the old compressor ever failed or blew apart.

I pulled a deep vacuum and it held with no leaks.

Started to fill with r134 - the slowest process and I think it has stopped. Low Side pressure above 110 and High Side pressure around 80. Look at it one time and it almost balances - another it shows much higher suction. Compressor has engaged and runs. Getting freon in is a long prayer - put can in warm water - gently shake it - such a disappointment.

I have older gauges - but should be ok.

Before I blow this pig up = any ideas?????

Many thanks for any consideration given.

Just a rancher who hates to throw hard money at anything besides some cold beer and a fast boat!

Greg
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Tractor AC Repair

Post by bohica2xo »

How much oil did you put in the system?

When charging a system like that, you want to get as much of the charge in as you can before you start the engine. If you are using cans, evacuate the system, purge the can hose with vapor. Then invert the can for liquid, and crank the High side handwheel open. Run the liquid into the high side under vacuum with the engine OFF.

Once that can is empty, you need to close the high side handwheel. Swap cans, and then start the engine. Charge the rest as vapor in the low side.

NEVER open the high side valve with the engine running.

PSBHouston

Re: Tractor AC Repair

Post by PSBHouston »

Bohica

I really appreciate your reply.

We reclaimed what little freon had entered - pulled it down and started from scratch.

Followed your instructions - and we made some progress but not much. We sat in the shade and drank a couple of beers and cleared the thoughts so to speak. We bought a couple of hose quick connects at Tractor Supply with the screw in valves. BINGO that was it. Evidently the stem on the suction fill port is damaged just enough to not fully open until we changed over to the new ones. Just ordered a new suction hose as I don't want to look at this thing too much longer.

I fly Crop Sprayer Aircraft. They are simple and straight forward and working on them has taught me a lesson or two.

Its funny how the problem is usually simple and staring at you - yet we have a tendency to look for a major issue.

I thanks you for the assistance and advice - we will follow it all the way!!!!!!