Here are the stats, what's your diag

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

jknave
Read the full article

Here are the stats, what's your diag

Post by jknave »

Hey there,

I'd like to just give you the numbers, what would your diagnosis be? I have my own guess(es), but I'd like to hear yours first. I can provide more detail if you want it.

R-134a, dynamic test:

Low side: 25 psig

High side: 150 psig

- Engine overheats as ac runs when engine is idling while car is stationary

- cabin air duct temp got as low as 55° - 50° F

- ambient high of 87°F, likely higher in engine bay of course

I'm going to find a power washer today and blast the bejesus out of the radiator and condenser, as a first step regarding the overheating issue. I may need to install another efan in front of the condenser, since I already replaced this car's belt fan with an efan mounted behind the radiator. Condenser is mounted directly in front of the radiator.

Thanks!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Here are the stats, what's your diag

Post by bohica2xo »

Yeah, the 1985 Yugo tended to act up like that. Drink more vodka, you won't notice the overheating - it says so in the owner's manual on page 4
jknave

Post by jknave »

Not bad, only 1 year off... this is an '86 Volvo. ;)
jeepsj

Post by jeepsj »

Replacing belt fan with e-fan was probably a mistake. Factory mechanical fans will be superior to your typical chain-auto-parts e-fan. The fact that the engine overheats tells me you are not moving enough air through the radiator.
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually
jknave

Post by jknave »

Yeah, I was wondering... I removed the fan and viscous clutch because the pulley studs started shearing off one day. Temp's been fine, but the AC wasn't working then.

I think I have a working clutch somewhere, and the original fan shroud (which may help even further), I'll switch things out and see how it goes.

Any thoughts on the pressures or low side temp? Or maybe wait to until heat exchange efficiency is restored?