Subaru AC marginal

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Subaru AC marginal

Post by Cusser »

My daughter lives in Flagstaff AZ 7000 feet up, significantly cooler than Phoenix) and she has been looking at Subaru Foresters and Outbacks under 5 years old. I rode in one of each (9am, cars sitting outside), felt that the AC was marginal in performance, even though the vent temperature did get down to 48F after 5 minutes; but nothing like the AC performance in cooling comfort like in the 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier, and 1998 Frontier.

So I read online that quite a few owners were unhappy with the AC performance of these two vehicles, claimed window tinting, lighter colors helped. If for me - I would skip Subaru, but daughter still wants to go that path. So anyone here have experience with AC on recent Forester or Outback to give some input on comfort in those? Thanks.

Re: Subaru AC marginal

Post by 71403 »

Have a '14 Outback in the stable here (Northeastern US) it keeps the creatures inside cool in the low 40's. On the hottest days can kinda feel a wall of heat behind your head, like the system is marginal for the interior sq/ft of a station wagon. At night on highway vents will get into the high 30's once the interior cools down.

Main AC complaint is it seems to destroke the compressor to shed engine load far too often which is quickly felt at the vents as a temp/humidity increase.

Hopefully she's looking at one with a 3rd pedal and row-your-own gears. The CVT and overly aggressive electronic throttle in this one combine for a "drunk teenager learning to drive stick" feeling which outweighs any a/c concerns. :mrgreen:
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Subaru AC marginal

Post by Cusser »

71403 wrote:Hopefully she's looking at one with a 3rd pedal and row-your-own gears. The CVT and overly aggressive electronic throttle in this one combine for a "drunk teenager learning to drive stick" feeling which outweighs any a/c concerns. :mrgreen:
Daughter would prefer one with manual transmission, just haven't seen one yet for sale. And she wants the premium package. It will be her decision.