2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, Dougflas, HECAT

wamcneil
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am

2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby wamcneil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 am

Hi All,
I've got a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 with a seized compressor. Just bought the car, so not much history. It was cooling fine when I bought it couple weeks ago, but the compressor was noisy, so I figured I'd be replacing it soon. It locked up a couple days ago, so I'll be replacing it sooner than I figured... There was no drama, just a squealing belt right after startup.
Looking for a little advice before I open it up.
1-I'll be ordering a new mopar compressor and accumulator. Should I plan on preemptively replacing anything else while I'm in there?
2-I found a reference list that says the system holds 24oz of PAG46. Should I plan to flush the system and add 24oz, or replace some portion that is in the compressor and accumulator?
I've got gauges, vac pump and an air compressor, but I've never flushed a system before. Is flushing a system pretty straightforward?
Thanks,
Walter
User avatar
Cusser
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby Cusser » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 am

wamcneil wrote:Hi All, I've got a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 with a seized compressor. Just bought the car, so not much history. It was cooling fine when I bought it couple weeks ago, but the compressor was noisy, so I figured I'd be replacing it soon.


Next time: shut down the AC system immediately if it's noisy like that, it will just do more damage (like you found out).

Let the experts chime in, but think I'd replace or reverse-flush the condenser (if serpentine condenser) and replace the orifice tube.


wamcneil wrote:I found a reference list that says the system holds 24oz of PAG46. Should I plan to flush the system and add 24oz, or replace some portion that is in the compressor and accumulator?


That just sounds like a HECK of a lot of oil, check and re-check that !!!
User avatar
bohica2xo
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:12 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby bohica2xo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:39 am

What exactly is seized?

The idler bearing? The pump itself?
wamcneil
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby wamcneil » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:08 pm

It's apparently the compressor that's siezed. Idler spins fine once the clutch released.
Next time I'll know ... I figured on replacing it so wasn't too concerned. Hopefully it looks clean inside. I'll blow out the condenser and see if anything nasty comes out.!
wamcneil
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby wamcneil » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Oh, sorry about the dumb question on the oil to add. I was looking at the refrigerant capacity... oil is 4.6 oz.
if the condenser is clean, should I try and flush the system and then add 4.6 oz, or skip the flush and add some quantity less than 4.6 oz?
I'm assuming the system was recharged with no added oil and the compressed failed from oil starvation
User avatar
Cusser
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby Cusser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 am

wamcneil wrote:if the condenser is clean, should I try and flush the system and then add 4.6 oz, or skip the flush and add some quantity less than 4.6 oz?


At minimum I'd reverse flush the condenser and high pressure lines with solvent then dry out with air. And change orifice tube.


wamcneil wrote:Oh, sorry about the dumb question on the oil to add. I was looking at the refrigerant capacity... oil is 4.6 oz.
I'm assuming the system was recharged with no added oil and the compressed failed from oil starvation


When you remove the seized compressor, drain/capture any oil and measure its volume; there might be zero. So I'd add the 4.6 oz.
wamcneil
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby wamcneil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks. That's what I'll plan on doing. Fingers crossed... like Mike Tyson said... "everyone has a plan untill they get punched in the mouth"
wamcneil
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby wamcneil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:18 pm

OK. Ordering parts from ACKits. Dryer, orifice tube and seal kit
I assume the orifice tube is replaceable, since ackits sells it, right? I can't find any instructions specific to a 2005 grand Cherokee. Is it just a matter of removing the liquid line from the firewall manifold block and pulling the orifice tube out of the firewall end of the hose?
User avatar
Cusser
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby Cusser » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:11 am

wamcneil wrote:I assume the orifice tube is replaceable, since ackits sells it, right? I can't find any instructions specific to a 2005 grand Cherokee. Is it just a matter of removing the liquid line from the firewall manifold block and pulling the orifice tube out of the firewall end of the hose?


Orifice tube is replaceable; make sure to orient it correctly.

Google on how to remove an orifice tube: it may come out readily, you may have to screw something in there and pull.
wamcneil
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am

Re: 2005 Grand Cherokee- siezed compressor: advice please!

Postby wamcneil » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks. Will do.
I'm reading that in a lot of cases a compressor failure can require replacement of the condenser because the passages are too small to effectively flush.
Is the 05 jeep condenser one of these modern condensers with tiny passages?
I figure if the orifice tube screen is clean, I'm probably good. But if it's full of trash then I might be looking at condenser replacement too?.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”