2002 Nissan Frontier AC can't get colder

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

btruong968
Read the full article

2002 Nissan Frontier AC can't get colder

Post by btruong968 »

2002 Nissan Frontier

Ambient Air Temp - 92 deg F
Relative Humidity - approx. 60%
Static Low Press. - 119 psi
Static Hi Press. - 120 psi

AC turned on
Low press. - 70 psi
High press. - 210 psi
Vent temp. - 85 deg F
Engine RPM - 900 rpm

Rev engine to 3k rpm
Low press. - 35 psi
High press. - 325 psi and climbing
Vent temp. - 71 deg F

The system failed to function last summer. Replaced a leaking suction hose and the receiver drier. Vacuumed and recharged, only slightly cooler air.
Replaced the evaporator core and expansion valve. Vacuumed for 1 hour, leak down tested for 30 min., then recharged. It's still not cold as it should be. The weird thing is, if charge amount is adjusted so low side is about 30-40, high side barely comes above 150 (at idle). Spraying the condenser with water drops the pressures but low side will slowly climb back up to 70 psi.

I'm getting really frustrated with this truck. Next stop will be to a shop for professional recover/vacuum/recharge. I'd like to have the correct parts replaced before then if it's a component issue. Thank you!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2002 Nissan Frontier AC can't get colder

Post by Cusser »

Assuming that you have all the fan shrouds, replace the fan clutch. I just replaced the fan clutch on my 1998 Frontier for 2nd time in the 13 years I've had it. Look online for fan clutch tests; one way is to CAREFULLY use a rolled up newspaper section, and see if the fan can be stopped with this (be careful of fan and belts !!!).

If yours is an electric fan model, make sure all fans are working.
btruong968

Re: 2002 Nissan Frontier AC can't get colder

Post by btruong968 »

The fan tested good. I have a feeling it's either a compressor issue or a charge issue.