R12 -> R134a 1989 Porsche Kit Questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: R12 -> R134a 1989 Porsche Kit Questions

Post by Cusser »

HC3 wrote:A more inclusive list of equipment/materials for a DIY vacuum and charge:
What am I leaving out? What do I not need? Thanks.

- vacuum pump - CAN DO LOANER FROM AUTOZONE
- vacuum pump oil - N/A
- virgin R143a supply tank (R134A) SEE BELOW
- gauge set with hoses (what brand gauges?, I assume some brands are not considered good enough) - CAN DO LOANER FROM AUTOZONE
- micron gauge - SEE JUST ABOVE
- micron gauge adapter - SEE JUST ABOVE
- scale to weigh large canister - YOU COULD USE R134a CANS - TRUE, YOU WON'T GET FULL 12 OZ. OUT, BUT JUST BE SURE TO BLEED AIR OUT OF LINES WITH A SMALL AMOUNT OF R134a EACH CAN.
- dye injection system? YOU CAN POUR DYE INTO THE REFRIGERATION OIL OR COMPRESSOR BEFORE YOU BUTTON IT UP
- light to see dye - NOT SURE YOU NEED THIS UNLESS YOU DEVELOP A LEAK
- electronic leak detector - DON'T NEED AT THIS POINT
- recovery tank/system?
- extra O-rings
- Nylog
- extra drier- DON'T NEED AT THIS POINT
see CAPITALS above. You get an indication of the tightness/integrity of the system if it holds vacuum 30 minutes after the evacuation. If it doesn't, then you may have a leak to attend to.
HC3

Post by HC3 »

I called ACKits - they no longer sell Nylog. They sell BVA O-ring lube pn MT0941. I went to order on line and the shipping calculator came up with $100 in shipping so I backed out.
I asked if they had BVA Auto 100 - they used to sell that but now don't.
I sent an email to BVA to see where I can buy it in California.
I asked re. buying HNBR O-rings #6, #8 and #10 as listed on the ACKits website - the guy said it is better to buy at Napa if I don't want a large assorted kit.
Now I'm wondering if another ester oil brand might be as good or better than BVA and easier to find in CA.

Thanks for any comments.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Nylog: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... c&LH_BIN=1

One can also use refrigeration oil on the O-rings.
HC3

Post by HC3 »

Cusser wrote:Nylog: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... c&LH_BIN=1

One can also use refrigeration oil on the O-rings.
Yes, that is probably the most common method mentioned - no additional special goop needs to be obtained.
Of course I need to investigate to find out what is the best method - e.g. Super Lube, Nylog, BVA O-ring lube, etc. etc.

I think the more important part of putting the O-rings fittings together is the skill of the operator. E.g. are the O-rings not being trapped, nicked or squished as they are coaxed into the other fitting. Is there the proper amount of compression when the O-ring is in the final position?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Where you looking at Next Day Air. The item is listed at 1.5 pounds. Anywhere in the USA should be maybe $12.00 to ship.

If you want (1)#6 and (2)#8 o-rings... I will always suggest Napa.

O-Ring Kit.
http://www.ackits.com/master-tech-o-rin ... ings-25881
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
HC3

Post by HC3 »

Went to Napa today.
After reviewing the kits available, finally dug out the envelopes with individual sizes and was able to buy #6, #8 and #10's.
The guy was busy but very nice - they cut the Sunday staff to 1.

The plan is to interview another service shop on Tuesday and see if they know what a micron gauge is.
HC3

Post by HC3 »

Regarding Ester Oil.
I have one can of BVA 100 Polyoester but I want another can to do a flush of my new compressor (it came with mineral oil) per the link above (thanks for that) and I'm having trouble finding BVA in CA.
Maybe I should switch to another brand of Ester Oil that is easier to find out here. Any ideas? Thanks.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

HC3 wrote:I called ACKits - they no longer sell Nylog.
First time I've heard of a dressing for a/c seals, so I had to have it. Check some local HVAC supply places. Found 2 near me, one that wanted $15 and the other for $6. Got the blue version.
HC3

Post by HC3 »

Now I've done it.
I got 32OZ of Johnsen's Ester Oil pn 6710-6 and I now realize it is in a plastic bottle with a clear bag around it.
I read that ester oil absorbs water thru a plastic bottle. The date code is 12/29/2014, the stuff is something like 2.5 years old.
I tried to find a number for Johnsen's but of course no way to contact them that I could dig up.
Is this stuff junk?
HC3

Post by HC3 »

I got a phone number and called and now going thru a couple levels of people to get to someone technical. We'll see if the guy calls back.