HC3 wrote:A more inclusive list of equipment/materials for a DIY vacuum and charge:
What am I leaving out? What do I not need? Thanks.
- vacuum pump - CAN DO LOANER FROM AUTOZONE
- vacuum pump oil - N/A
- virgin R143a supply tank (R134A) SEE BELOW
- gauge set with hoses (what brand gauges?, I assume some brands are not considered good enough) - CAN DO LOANER FROM AUTOZONE
- micron gauge - SEE JUST ABOVE
- micron gauge adapter - SEE JUST ABOVE
- scale to weigh large canister - YOU COULD USE R134a CANS - TRUE, YOU WON'T GET FULL 12 OZ. OUT, BUT JUST BE SURE TO BLEED AIR OUT OF LINES WITH A SMALL AMOUNT OF R134a EACH CAN.
- dye injection system? YOU CAN POUR DYE INTO THE REFRIGERATION OIL OR COMPRESSOR BEFORE YOU BUTTON IT UP
- light to see dye - NOT SURE YOU NEED THIS UNLESS YOU DEVELOP A LEAK
- electronic leak detector - DON'T NEED AT THIS POINT
- recovery tank/system?
- extra O-rings
- extra drier- DON'T NEED AT THIS POINT
see CAPITALS above. You get an indication of the tightness/integrity of the system if it holds vacuum 30 minutes after the evacuation. If it doesn't, then you may have a leak to attend to.