V5 Compressor in 84 Firebird

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

mosterholt
Read the full article

V5 Compressor in 84 Firebird

Post by mosterholt »

Good evening all,

I'm upgrading my AC system on my 84 Firebird and am installing a V5 compressor to replace the old R4 unit. I was wondering if there were any known adapters to connect this compressor to my factory lines or will I simply have to go completely custom here? Or will they work with some persuading? The system hasn't been used in years but it did work before I parked the car about 8 years ago when I started this engine swap/restoration project. Just looking for options as I put the finishing touches on my car while I install the new engine here in the next few months. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thirdgen.org
My 84 Trans Am
6.0, LS6 intake, Ported 243 heads, Straub Trunion upgrade, BTR valve train, EPS 226/230 .604/.604 (build in progress)
"Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid!" (John Wayne)
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: V5 Compressor in 84 Firebird

Post by GM Tech »

Porting is the same except that the V-5 you use will probably be post 1994 era made- so it will have offset depths inside ports (a 134a to r-12 differential) - but you can simply use the appropriate sealing washers used for r-12 to 134a retrofits..May have to twist hoses somewhat- I would use a rear ported v-5- there are top ported which would not work for you.
mosterholt

Re: V5 Compressor in 84 Firebird

Post by mosterholt »

GM Tech wrote:Porting is the same except that the V-5 you use will probably be post 1994 era made- so it will have offset depths inside ports (a 134a to r-12 differential) - but you can simply use the appropriate sealing washers used for r-12 to 134a retrofits..May have to twist hoses somewhat- I would use a rear ported v-5- there are top ported which would not work for you.
So get the correct sealing washers (the system was prevoiusly converted to R134) for the new compresosr and find a rear ported V-5. That "Sounds" simple enough. thanks!
Thirdgen.org
My 84 Trans Am
6.0, LS6 intake, Ported 243 heads, Straub Trunion upgrade, BTR valve train, EPS 226/230 .604/.604 (build in progress)
"Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid!" (John Wayne)