What is this scale on my manifold gauges for?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

atikovi
Read the full article

What is this scale on my manifold gauges for?

Post by atikovi »

I've have this set for a few years and it does both R12 and 134A systems as well as R22 home a/c. Since I usually evac and charge by weight I haven't paid attention to the actual numbers much, but what is the outer scale for?
GeraldK4nhn

Re: What is this scale on my manifold gauges for?

Post by GeraldK4nhn »

That is the pressure in PSI
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Ok so what are the scales of the respective refrigerants for? I assumed that was the pressure of each one, i.e. if you’re diagnosing an R12 system you read pressure on the R12 scale.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

outer scale is PSI. Photo is not clear enough for me or I would explain which scale indicates saturated temp.
DontKnowSquat

Post by DontKnowSquat »

I wish I knew the answer to that question too. My scale is the same and I am assuming the same as you, (my Mastercool Gauge instructions are moot with no explanation either). Been looking all over the WWW for an answer to this but no success. BTW the picture is clear as heck to me so I don't know what that other poster is looking at. :roll:
1981 Turbo Buick Regal :shock:
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The outer scale is clearly marked PSI. That is the pressure scale, and the one you use for testing.

The inner scales are clearly marked °F. They are Temperature scales. Simply a P/T chart on the gauge face for R12, R22 & 134a
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

I had to copy your image into Photoshop to sharpen it enough to see the scales. Let's imagine the needle is at the 30 psi position. The first scale (in light blue) is the R134a scale. The temp of the refrigerant at sea level is 35* F. The next scale (green) is the R22 scale. At the same PSI, the temp of the refrigerant is about 8*F. The next scale (red) at 30 PSI is about 33*F.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Dougflas wrote:Let's imagine the needle is at the 30 psi position. The first scale (in light blue) is the R134a scale. The temp of the refrigerant at sea level is 35* F.
This is important to know because?
And the lower the pressure the lower the temperature. So at 10psi the temperature is only 8*F. That would be great but at 10psi there isn't enough R134a in the system and it probably will blow warm?
DontKnowSquat

Post by DontKnowSquat »

Simply outstanding folks. The answer has arising. Thanks! :mrgreen:
1981 Turbo Buick Regal :shock: