Amount of oil needed for a York Compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Retro93
Read the full article

Amount of oil needed for a York Compressor

Post by Retro93 »

I'm in the process of rebuilding the A/C in my Jeep and, thus far been unable to determine how much oil the system should hold. I'm using a York 209 and replacing the evaporator, drier, condenser and hoses. The York is used, but completely drained of oil. From what I have been able to gather, the drier should hold 2 oz, the evaporator and condenser 1 oz each, for a total of 4 oz. All of the information I have found on the subject says that the compressor should be filled with 14oz. So, if I put 10 oz in the compressor will the 4 oz. in the components add up to the 14? I don't want to overfill the system because of all the problems it could cause. How much oil does a "normal" system hold. It will be filled with R134A.

I Thank You in advance for any help you may offer.
Dougflas

Re: Amount of oil needed for a York Compressor

Post by Dougflas »

If memory serves me correctly, there is a measuring tool for York compressors. It uses one measurement for vertical mounting and a different measurement for horizontal mounting. We used to be able to isolate the compressor by service valves and open the compressor oil plug and measure the amount of oil. Try your friend at Goggle
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Amount of oil needed for a York Compressor

Post by bohica2xo »