2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 refrigerant/oil capacities

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Jsmitty
Read the full article

2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 refrigerant/oil capacities

Post by Jsmitty »

I was wondering if you guys could tell me the refrigerant capacity, and oil capacity/viscosity for a 2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn Lariat with a 6.4 Hemi engine? It has a 10SRE18 compressor. Can't seem to find any info on this one, since it's so new.

Back story: Owner attempted his own A/C repair using box store cans with stop leak (YIKES), and charged into atmospheric pressure. Said the gauge on the can was buried in the red (no surprise there). Compressor clutch sheared the rubber damper, and it's movement feels choppy - new OE replacement compressor should be here this afternoon, and I'll be starting the job tomorrow. I've got old equipment I can use and not worry about stop leak screwing it all up.

Looks to be a TXV system, which I did not expect. The TXV looks accessible right at the evap opening in the firewall - going to check it out for kibbles and bits (hoping not, as I didn't prepare for that).

Said the comp got real loud for 3 cycles, then quit.

Main question is the capacity, and of course if you guys have any additional info, feel free to post it - I'd appreciate it. :)

Thank you all in advance.
Jsmitty

Re: 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 refrigerant/oil capacities

Post by Jsmitty »

Whelp, she's all done. Under hood sticker said what came out to 1lb. 5.92 oz. Oil capacity based on the prior year models going back to '07 was 6 oz. - used PAG 46 based on that info.

Added 3 oz. to new compressor, vacuumed, and charged - she's blowing 40° rolling down the road at 83° ambient at 73% humidity. Heat index is 93°. She's dumping condensate like a faucet. 8-)

I will say this. Prepare yourselves for when these start rolling in your shop. Fiat designed a real winner here. Rear most bolt was next to impossible to remove, and even MORE difficult to reinstall. A total nightmare, since they welded a crossmember right over the compressor, leaving only a 3" wide hole to fit your hand (as in ONE) into. Can barely get 2 hands in to hold compressor while you extract the 2 front studs. Whoever designed this thing should be beaten ... SEVERELY ..... :x

Anyway, job is done, customer is super happy, and hopefully this will help someone else out down the road.