1985 Chevy Crew Cab

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rhedelius
Read the full article

1985 Chevy Crew Cab

Post by rhedelius »

I recently acquired a 1985 Chevy Crew Cab (3+3) truck. It started life with a 454 but it now has a 6.2 diesel. It is factory AC equipped but most of the components are missing. I am doing some research on the best way to implement a good 134 system. I plan on using a 16 x 28 parallel flow condenser, new accumulator/receiver/dryer and evaporator. I need some thoughts on the compressor.

I picked up some brackets (side mount) for the 6.2 that came with a York 488-22011 (244) compressor from an 84 K1500 (similar to the image below). To my knowledge, GM never used a York like this so it may have been dealer installed. The HR6 and A6 compressors used in these trucks mount with different brackets. In any case, I'm just happy I can mount a compressor. Since this is a Crew Cab, and I live in AZ, I need a compressor that can move enough freon to cool effectively. The Sanden 508 is probably too small, so I started looking at the Seltec TM-16HD Compressor. Is this a good compressor? Will it be sufficient to cool the large cab and work with the large condenser?

Lastly, I don't have any hoses and may have to have some made up. I think there are some replacement AC manifolds for these squarebody's but from what I can tell, they mount differently to the compressor unless there is an adapter to attach them to the TM-16HD.

I hope I'm on the right track, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome at this point. Still researching so haven't fully committed to anything just yet.

Thanks,
Rick
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: 1985 Chevy Crew Cab

Post by bohica2xo »

The A6 & York were both 210cc / rev units.

The Seltec 21HX / Valeo TM21 is a displacement match @ 210 cc/ rev:

http://www.valeocompressors.com/en/tm21

The site sponsor can supply such a unit.

Or you could use the York you already have mounts for - site sponsor can supply those as well. Bigger, heavier but still effective.

Your C30 probably had an R4 OEM - be glad it is missing. 1985 would be a CCOT system, so all you need is a compressor, cycle switch, HPCO & some custom hoses to put it together. New accumulator of course.

Does your truck have rear A/C? some had dealer installed rear cooling.
rhedelius

Re: 1985 Chevy Crew Cab

Post by rhedelius »

Bohica2xo,

Thank you for the reply! I wasn't sure what the cc rating for the York 244 was, I know the York 210 model puts out a lot since the off roaders like to use them to air up tires.

I did look at the TM21, but it appears to be a direct fit case, not the side mount like I need. If it was offered with a side mount I would definitely be interested. I'm hoping the TM16 will be sufficient but if there is a better choice, I'm all ears.

The goal is to piece together a nice 134 system so I can have meat locker mode. Honestly, I would go with R12 if it wasn't such a hassle. I loved my old R12 under dash system in an old 65 truck, it definitely had meat locker mode.

No rear AC, never seen a squarebody crew cab truck with one, suburban yes, truck no. Would love to see one if there was an option available. I always wondered why the crew cabs didn't have vents on the ceiling like the suburban for the second row.

Thanks,
Rick