2001 Jeep Wrangler

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

RossL
Read the full article

2001 Jeep Wrangler

Post by RossL »

I have been dealing with and A/C leak for over a year. I would charge the system and it would last for 3 weeks. I could smell freon come through the vents whenever I turn on the A/C.

I took the Jeep to Midas and they said I needed the Evaporator, compressor and condenser. I "think" they were just trying to run up the bill...$2,200 estimate

I purchased a new Evaporator and Accumulator from Rock auto. I have the dash removed...........

When the system was working the compressor would cycle on and off every about 20 second. Is this normal?

I am thinking about replacing everything................ Any suggestions would be welcome
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2001 Jeep Wrangler

Post by Cusser »

RossL wrote:I have been dealing with and A/C leak for over a year. I would charge the system and it would last for 3 weeks. I could smell freon come through the vents whenever I turn on the A/C.

I took the Jeep to Midas and they said I needed the Evaporator, compressor and condenser. I "think" they were just trying to run up the bill...$2,200 estimate

I purchased a new Evaporator and Accumulator from Rock auto. I have the dash removed...........

When the system was working the compressor would cycle on and off every about 20 second. Is this normal?

I am thinking about replacing everything................ Any suggestions would be welcome
I'm not a pro in AC, but do know some. Midas may know mufflers, but they are NOT an AC specialty shop.

Leaks out in 3 weeks: you definitely have a leak.
You can smell the R134a when the AC is turned on: seems to indicate an AC leak.
That said: it doesn't sound to me like the compressor and/or condenser would be also affected, unless you've added some of that naughty leak seal crap in the past.

So I think your plan to replace the evaporator and accumulator is a good one; you should probably add a few ounces of refrigeration oil when you do this. When you got the dash apart and the old evaporator out, did you see oily/dirt residue from a leak anywhere?
RossL

Post by RossL »

I didn't get the heater evap box removed yet. Does it sound normal that the compressor is cycling three or four times a minute?
RossL

Post by RossL »

I did not put any stop leak in the system. I have owed the jeep about two years.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

RossL wrote:I didn't get the heater evap box removed yet. Does it sound normal that the compressor is cycling three or four times a minute?
I don't think that's abnormal with a leak/loss of refrigerant. What would've been helpful would've been the low and high side pressures at 1500 rpm WHEN the system has a full amount of refrigerant, but realize that you have the dash removed.

Cycling often could be from safety feedback from low pressure switch, high pressure switch, or something electronic.

I always say - and not just for AC - "Fix FIRST what you KNOW is bad". In your case: the leak.

I once had an evaporator leak in my '88 Mazda truck, it actually inhibited the air FLOW. Once I got access by removing the bottom of the evaporator case and cleaned off the crud, soap bubbles showed me its leak, as if the crud wasn't enough evidence !!
RossL

Post by RossL »

Charged the system over the weekend. I put in 1.5 pounds of refrigerant. Low side was 30 high side read 230. It was 90 degrees (very humid) here and the temp at the vent was 49 degrees. Does this sound good?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

RossL wrote:Charged the system over the weekend. I put in 1.5 pounds of refrigerant. Low side was 30 high side read 230. It was 90 degrees (very humid) here and the temp at the vent was 49 degrees. Does this sound good?
That sounds pretty close to me. Humidity does play a role in this AC stuff too.

My Frontiers ('98 and 2004) cool me real well, in Arizona. I measured their vent temperatures in the high 40s.

Radio show mechanic says 55F and lower is good. If your Jeep gets parked in the sun, remember that seats, dashboard, etc. will all we well above that 90F temperature, so big heat sink to cool down. Here in Arizona we hunt for a shady spot and walk significantly further to where we're going.....