New guy here with a question on Oil

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

scottwelder
Read the full article

New guy here with a question on Oil

Post by scottwelder »

I have a 1992 toyota 4runner with a 4cylinder.

I am replacing the condensor, compressor, and receiver. I plan on flushing the entire system with flush solution.

through my research I learned there are two ways of adding oil. 1. would be to pour (liquid) half in the compressor and half in the receiver 2. would be to add oil via the pressurized cans of oil after doing the vacuum down.

my question is whats the best way and is there a way I am missing? It seems like if you added liquid oil to the compressor and receiver you might vacuum some out during the vacuum process?

My other question relates to the link below

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refriger ... ies/toyota

This is the only info I can find on capacity. I plan on using r134a so is the 30 ounces still correct? I aslo plan on using PAG46 oil.

Thank you so much for reading and Thank you in advance for your help.
wptski

Re: New guy here with a question on Oil

Post by wptski »

Another way is to close the low side port and disconnect the low side hose from your gauge set. Insert the loose hose end into your "measured" 30 oz oil container. Connect your vacuum pump to the gauge set, start the pump and open the high side while keeping an eye on the oil level in the container as it pulls it in.

Normally the oil stays in the system during the vacuum process and 30 oz is correct.
scottwelder

Post by scottwelder »

Thank you wptski

If I decide to go that route or the pressurized can route is it okay to install the compressor dry? or should I put like one once in the compressor install it then vacuum the system and add the other 6 ounces with the pressurized can?
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

30 ounces of oil ? really, refrigerant maybe, but not oil.. typical systems run 8 oz of oil....
wptski

Post by wptski »

GM Tech wrote:30 ounces of oil ? really, refrigerant maybe, but not oil.. typical systems run 8 oz of oil....
You are correct, wrong colume in chart, 30oz of R12 and 7oz of oil.
wptski

Post by wptski »

scottwelder wrote:Thank you wptski

If I decide to go that route or the pressurized can route is it okay to install the compressor dry? or should I put like one once in the compressor install it then vacuum the system and add the other 6 ounces with the pressurized can?
Most new compressors come with oil installed but many here never trust that and dump it. Most don't install a dry one. If you install oil then it depends on its location as you may need to plug it some way or you'll lose it. It seems easier to me to install oil instead of oil in under pressurized cans. I have one of the oil injectors that you put in the line to add oil along with the refregerant but it only holds 3oz.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

There is no way to know how much or what kind of oil is in a new compressor.

That model year was R12 & mineral oil, so a replacement compressor may be shipped with that. You are going to use 134a & PAG oil.

Drain the new compressor and see what you get out. Add an ounce of PAG to the inlet port on the bench, and spin the compressor shaft by hand - see what comes out of the discharge port.

Once the compressor is flushed & drained, put an ounce or two of the oil charge in the intake port, spin the shaft a turn or so & see if you can hold it in mounting position without losing the oil in it. Pour the balance of the oil charge in the discharge line from the compressor to the condenser on this vehicle. it is a flexible hose, so you can do this with a small funnel holding the line above the rest of the system.

Once the compressor is mounted & both lines are attached, spin the shaft a few turns by hand to clear any excess oil from the cylinders.

Evacuating the system will not remove oil. Put the oil in before you evacuate.

Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I've come across rebuilt compressors a decade ago (Air Pro from AMA) for vehicles which had R-12; one for a 1988 Mazda contained PG oil, one for 1990 Mazda contained R-12 mineral oil. So the compressor for the 1988 was flushed out several times with mineral oil.

So never assume type or volume of oil in a new or rebuilt compressor !
scottwelder

Post by scottwelder »

Okay so I have replaced the Compressor the Condenser (Condensor was from junk yard) I have also replaced the expansion vave and the receiver dryer I have entirely flushed the system.

So the first time I vacuumed for 20 minutes and charged it approximately the 27 ounces it calls for. I ran the system and on a 100+ degree day it would only cool to 60°F

So I drained the system and then this time vacuumed it for an hour and charged exactly the 27 ounce amount I even went and bought a food scale so I could measure out the exact amount.

On todays 105°f day it would only cool to 65°f I checked and made sure the heater core valve was closed and I have the system on recirculate. When I charged the system the first time I added the correct amount of oil. I did not add any oil on the second charge since I was told Vacuuming does not remove oil.

again I have a 1992 toyota 4runner 4cyl it was a factory r12 system

Please tell me what else I can do to get to 40°f??????
scottwelder

Post by scottwelder »

I forgot to add that my gauge readings are 33 on the low side and high side is 235. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am struggling