Now I have a leak !!! 1998 Frontier

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Cusser
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Now I have a leak !!! 1998 Frontier

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote:
bohica2xo wrote:Yeah, trim that fitting to OEM length.
Sometimes the aftermarket misses. That fitting should sit flush - or the clamp & fitting have a bending load on them.
So you feel that I should open it up and fix the ends, even though it's working great now?
UPDATE: I did NOT open up the system to trim the ends of the fittings to match the original factory "depth". So it's been like 7 weeks now since I shortened the fittings "somewhat" on the only available aftermarket hose and replaced the fan clutch, and the system has continued to operate perfectly.

Will this fail/leak at either end eventually??? I have no idea. But I'll deal with that - and the guess of any loss of oil - when and if that happens.
A 221K-old AC system in Arizona that works so well in afternoon sun that one must shut the compressor off periodically is nothing to sneeze at, or monkey with (110F in Phoenix today).
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Bet it blows colder than my OEM Tacoma does, I do have a 4 door tacoma though.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Tim wrote:Bet it blows colder than my OEM Tacoma does, I do have a 4 door tacoma though.
Yeah, this 1998 Frontier is a single/regular cab; I bought it with 100K on it in 2004 for my kids to drive to school/work/practices, and so they could only have one passenger and learn stick shift. My 2004 Frontier is also 4-cylinder, 5-speed, but a King Cab.

I should read the vent temperatures sometime on those; but when it's 110F outside and one has to shut off the compressor (or add some warm air), that's a good thing in Arizona. I use blower speeds 2 and 3, rarely 1 or 4. The volume of air is quite good too.

My 1988 Mazda B2200 truck does NOT cool as well, but it's OK, and still R-12; its AC system has had way more issues on it in the 23 years I've had it (several compressors, hole in evaporator, leaky crimp on high pressure hose).