'93 Silverado c1500 AC replacement

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

7echo
Read the full article

'93 Silverado c1500 AC replacement

Post by 7echo »

I got an old '93 Silverado single cab project truck for my son and I and I to work on, teaching him some repair and PM stuff. The old R4 compressor was shot so I am looking into options for replacement.

I need some comments and opinions on my plan-

Install new compressor, accumulator, condenser, hoses, etc. Most everything but the evaporator. I want to use R134 refrigerant.

I am thinking to use a Sanden FLX7 #4864 compressor. They have several manifold options for the hose connection, which one do I need?

http://www.sanden.com/flx7.html

I can buy or fab brackets. I will have new hoses made(probably at a Parker store, what do i need to know before talking to them?).

I think I need a parallel flow condenser. I am trying to track one down that is close to the OEM dimensions and fittings. Overall it is 30 1/4" wide, 16 9/16" high, and 1 1/2" thick.

Any help is appreciated, including telling me my plan is a bad one, just please give me some options ; )

Thanks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: '93 Silverado c1500 AC replacement

Post by Cusser »

Anything is better than an R4 compressor, but these seemed to be "better" in a single cab truck than in a dual-AC system.

Post by 71403 »

Have installed a few of the off-brand replacements that are PF in spec and appearance. Haven't had a bad one yet to cut open and verify true PF. Quality is questionable - sent back two that came with metal chips in the discharge line.

There is a AC-Delco parallel flow condenser for these trucks it's labeled "for R134A retrofit". Well, at least the picture _looks_ like a PF... haven't had hands on one yet. Hopefully better quality than the off-brand.

Check the recirc door is functional. I see a lot of these trucks with bad actuators and/or broken shafts from hack job replacements.
7echo

Post by 7echo »

"Check the recirc door is functional. I see a lot of these trucks with bad actuators and/or broken shafts from hack job replacements."

Yes, that one was bad. I have set it in the re-circ position til I feel like digging under the dash to replace the motor. I found a write up on line. I run all my cars AC in re-circ probably 95 percent of the time.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

7echo wrote:"Check the recirc door is functional. I see a lot of these trucks with bad actuators and/or broken shafts from hack job replacements."

Yes, that one was bad. I have set it in the re-circ position til I feel like digging under the dash to replace the motor. I found a write up on line. I run all my cars AC in re-circ probably 95 percent of the time.
I had to grind down both ends of a 5.5mm socket to get that %^&*$@%&@#%& thing out of my 2005 GMC, the hump is in the way !!! So was still a pain !!! I used a Dorman aftermarket unit after disconnecting the harness (while in the AC position) for a year.