How to properly drain a compressor?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

AGrayson84
Read the full article

How to properly drain a compressor?

Post by AGrayson84 »

Hi everyone, I have a compressor that is only a few months old, but I decided to tear down the entire A/C system and start from scratch with filling the PAG oil and refrigerant (I feel there's a chance I added a little more than the required 14 oz when filling the new compressor late last year when I installed it and other new components after flushing the lines. A/C hasn't been getting cold enough, long story....). Other than letting the compressor gravity drain in an oil pan, is there anything else I can do to ensure I get all residual oil out of the compressor? I know you're not supposed to flush it with A/C flush chemicals. Should I perhaps hood the lines that bolt directly to it and try to blow out more oil with dry air?? If so, does it matter which side I attach my air nozzle to?

Also, when filling the compressor, does it matter if I fill via the low pressure line or the high pressure line, if the lines attached directly to the compressor are disconnected from everything else when filling it? Thanks a bunch!!
Dougflas

Re: How to properly drain a compressor?

Post by Dougflas »

Invert it to drain and also rotate the clutch hub. Pour new oil into the suction port and rotates it.
CableGuy73

Post by CableGuy73 »

Hello everyone I have a similar problem with the installation of my new AC system on a Chevy Silverado 2004. After I installed all the in components and added pag oil and refrigerant I continued to test the AC unit by my truck around the block a few times while running the AC. It ran great got cold quick when I drove up into my driveway and turned off the engine it leaked out about to ounces of pawg oil period I'm not sure where it came from can anyone help? Also let me add that I did vacuum out the refrigerant put the vacuum back on the system to check for leaks and it is still holding vacuum i assum have no leaks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Two ounces is a lot of leakage !!

Maybe you just spilled some when you added to the system, if you added after the compressor was bolted on???

Obviously, you confused more here than just me.
anderson0220

Post by anderson0220 »

My technique is a little bit strange but it works. I use hair blow dryer :D My wife is so upset when I used her personal hair dryer lol.