1978 corvette r134 conversion

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

chrisviktorjakematt
Read the full article

1978 corvette r134 conversion

Post by chrisviktorjakematt »

My 78 corvette just blew the compressor. I am going to replace it and switch to r134 at the same time. My questions are:
Is one brand of r4 compressor better than the others? I was going to buy one from autozone a 4seasons kit but have read troubling reviews.
I plan to replace the accumulator and O-rings with r134 compliant o rings and a new orifice tube. should I replace the compressor hoses as well?
I also plan to flush the system. Is there anything I am missing or advice I need?
Thanks
Chris
Dougflas

Re: 1978 corvette r134 conversion

Post by Dougflas »

Corvettes are a poor choice for conversions. Four seasons are a poor choice for parts. You're dead in the water before you begin. You will need to upgrade the condenser also. Better do your due diligence before a decision is made.
chrisviktorjakematt

Thanks for the reply,
I am stuck with the corvette so I cant help that it is not a good candidate. However if you know of a better compressor I could buy instead of the 4 seasons one I would appreciate any advice pointing me in the right direction. I could also replace the condenser if that would help things.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Dougflas wrote:Corvettes are a poor choice for conversions. Four seasons are a poor choice for parts. You're dead in the water before you begin. You will need to upgrade the condenser also. Better do your due diligence before a decision is made.
If you're in USA, stay with R-12, will also be less expensive overall, as well as perform better, like others say. R-12 is legal to use and available in US. You're driving a Corvette: fix it right.

As someone who has had R4 compressors in past vehicles, those do have issues, like leaking at the body seals. But converting to a different compressor would not be cheap either.
chrisviktorjakematt

Thanks, well I need a new compressor whichever coolant I use. are all r4 compressors equally bad or is one brand better than another??? :(
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I can get you a Delco or aftermarket. Your call on which model. Even the 4s New is a good unit. But you will kill any compressor unless you address the high head pressure you are going ot have with R134a on a older Vette.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
chrisviktorjakematt

Tim thanks. What should I be doing to address the high pressures? I was going to use a 1989 ford ford t bird 0.67 blue orifice tube. Will that help or are there other modifications I should be considering? I would like to only do this once correctly.
thanks
chris
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Universal parallel flow condenser and custom hoses.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
chrisviktorjakematt

Ok, thanks. Now that I am dissasembling things. what size line wrenches do I need to take apart the accumulator and the lines to the condenser? I have learned that hard way in the past to not try with the wrong wrenches. Thanks for all the help so far.
Chris
chrisviktorjakematt

ok system is taken apart no problem. I am looking at parallel condensers. Are the universal ones going to require me to fabricate any of the connections or just the brackets. should I get one the exact same size or would one a little smaller be better to make it work with my existing ac tubing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Universa ... 2548.l4275 would you recommend one like this or does ackits.com offer one that would fit easier?