A/C Pressures - Opinion

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Big3
Read the full article

A/C Pressures - Opinion

Post by Big3 »

2004 Dodge Durango 5.7L dual a/c system, 134a

Ambient temp was 95, A/C had been working thruought the day shopping, family comes back from one stop after an hour, A/C doesn't operate. Vehicle brought home with A/C compressor not engaging - I confirmed immediately after arrival that compressor clutch was not engaging. After an hour from arriving back home I stared the vehicle and compressor engaged for 3-5 seconds and disengaged, and stayed that way. I waited 4 hours to cool down. Its 9pm and 80 degrees now, A/C now works, so I connected a set of gauges and at idle, condenser fan on, low side is 35, high side is 210. Increase rpm to 2500 and low is 20, high is 175. That was yesterday, today I drove the vehicle to work, 45 min 60 mph each way, warm day 85 deg ambient coming home, A/C works both going to work and coming home. Not quite as cold as usual. Connect gauges immediately after getting home. At idle, now condenser fan is on, A/C is steady on and not cycling excessively, pressures are now 29/215, where it stays steady for several minutes until RPM increased to 2500 rpm, pressures are 21/285, creeped up to 20/300. Any suggestions as to cause of compressor operation issues? Over charge? Low charge?
Dougflas

Re: A/C Pressures - Opinion

Post by Dougflas »

Pull the charge and re charge by weight. That will eliminate charge as a source. It might even fix it.