1969 Camaro AC issue

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Emdoller
Read the full article

1969 Camaro AC issue

Post by Emdoller »

My 69 Camaro with factory AC would turn on when the left most control was on VENT which it shouldn't. I've studied the electrical layout in the assembly manual and ran the following tests:

First I checked the diverter switch which tuned out to be broken (plunger would get stuck) and hooked up wrong (only using one prong). From the electrical diagram this switch is what provides power to the compressor and to the fan switch so that the fan will run on LOW if the compressor is on and the fan switch is OFF. It's a fail safe.

I disconnected this switch so no power was getting to the compressor the way it normally should. I also checked the lo blo switch to make sure that on VENT no power was going to the diverter switch and it wasn't.

I then needed to figure out how power was getting to the compressor. I pulled the resister bank and looked for continuity between any of the leads (switch connections) and the compressor. I found that the medium 1 lead had a connection to the compressor wire. It just so happens it's the lead physically next to the lead that ultimately connects to the compressor wire through the diverter switch. Again,It's used as the fail safe low speed.

So what I believe is happening is the medium 1 fan setting is providing power through the short to the compressor lead which means either the switch is bad or someone connected the two. I won't know until I pull it which isn't easy and why I'm looking for someone to tell me my logic is right before I crawl under the dash and pull a bunch of things off.

Thanks!!
Ed
Emdoller

Re: 1969 Camaro AC issue

Post by Emdoller »

Issue solved. Someone shorted the hot wire to the compressor

Ed