1992 NSX AC Refresh questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

SWFL_NSX
Read the full article

1992 NSX AC Refresh questions

Post by SWFL_NSX »

Hi All,

The car: 1992 Acura NSX. 85k miles, still running r12, just had it recharged and is blowing cold. There is a groaning/moaning sound coming from either the AC pully or the compressor-only happens when the AC is switched on. I'm assuming for now that it's the compressor, but am diagnosing the pully vs. compressor next weekend to know for sure. I'll also perform a dye test to look for any leaks.

The situation: This is my daily driver in south Florida and I want to be ready to swap the compressor before it dies completely. I'd like to stay with R-12 as well, and am comfortable with getting the EPA cert and the higher price of the refregerant vs. 134a. When the compressor is replaced I'll use the time to disassemble the system, flush all hoses and the 2 front condensers and replace all seals that I have access to. I don't want to deal with the evaperator unless necessary-it requires removing the dash.

Question 1: The NSX was built from 1992 to 2005, remaining mostly unchanged. In 1997 the compressor was improved to better deal with the r134a. Is there an advantage to using the post 97 compressor (supposedly more efficient) while sticking with the r12 refrigerant? South Florida in the summer is both hot and humid.

Question 2: Is there anything else I should consider, or any steps that I might miss?

Thanks!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: 1992 NSX AC Refresh questions

Post by bohica2xo »

I only see one listing for the NSX compressor - the 10PA15C compressor. The part number change in 1993 was for the 134a seals.

The 10PA15C is a good compressor. 5 pistons, not a scroll. So at 85k miles it probably has not sent a bunch of debris downstream.

The NSX is a lovely car - glad to see you driving it. The noise might be a pulley bearing. The issue becomes repairing a 25 year old unit - might as well do the shaft seal once it is out etc. A brand new Unit is under 200 bucks.

It is a tiny system - not a lot of R12 to buy. Keep it R12 & enjoy it.

SWFL_NSX

Post by SWFL_NSX »

Thanks for the response bohica! I drive it every day =)

Just to verify-it sounds like r134 compressors are backwards compatible. In other words, I can order the DENSO 10PA15C (which I see on rockauto.com for both the 1992 and the 1997 model NSX) and use with the r12, correct?

Thanks!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The seals & mechanicals in the Denso are compatible.

Many new compressors ship with oil, which in a new unit is likely PAG.

Regardless of what it shipped with, I always drain new units & flush them with the lubricant I intend to use in the system. In your case, you will want to remove your old unit, and drain & measure the oil in it. There is usually a number in the FSM for how much oil to add back to a new compressor based on what you drain from the old one.

I would contact the site sponsor http://www.ackits.com/ to see if he has what you need for parts. He may have a dry compressor available - which would save you some time. His phone number is on the top right of that page.

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview. ... adid=12050 Compressor flushing process