A/C compressor leaking oil

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Nissan4me
Read the full article

A/C compressor leaking oil

Post by Nissan4me »

I have a 2003 Nissan frontier XE 3.3L V6. I recently noticed a lot of fresh oil residue above and below the ac compressor. I have noticed that if I start the truck with the a.c. on and fan at full power I can hear a loud squeal that lasts anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds. If I turn the a/c off the squeal stops. Am I safe to assume it's my a/c clutch going out? If so is it a one piece deal where the whole compressor needs replacing or can I just replace the clutch? Or would it be better to replace the compressor and condenser since the truck has 150k miles on it?

Much obliged.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: A/C compressor leaking oil

Post by Cusser »

Nissan4me wrote:I have a 2003 Nissan frontier XE 3.3L V6. I recently noticed a lot of fresh oil residue above and below the ac compressor.
By the way, I have a 2004 Frontier with 99K and a 1998 Frontier with 218K, both 4 cylinder 5-speed and AC works great on them; both are on original compressor, and they've had refrigerant added to them once each, ever.

If your compressor is leaking oil, it's dying, and STOP using it IMMEDIATELY before it seizes and gets particles of metal throughout your system. Yes, a new compressor comes with a new AC clutch; don't go rebuilt as new compressors are very reasonable these days.

I bet your existing compressor shows zero oil in it after you remove it and drain it. Lack of oil kills compressors, you'll need to back-add some refrigeration oil' you may want to add some UV dye when you do this as well, many vehicle manufacturers do.

Since your system is apparently still "operable" so contains refrigerant, you may get by without installing a new drier, that's your choice (I recommend a new one). If the cooling is OK now, then you shouldn't need to replace the condenser either.

It's possible that the squeal is just from the AC belt or the AC idler pulley when the AC clutch first engages, but if the oil is really from the compressor, then act on it NOW before the system gets corrupted. I actually did similar new compressor on a 2005 Yukon 2 years ago, got to it early before the system got contaminated.