Refilling system but can't turn the engine on for a while

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

atikovi
Read the full article

Refilling system but can't turn the engine on for a while

Post by atikovi »

2007 Saturn Vue 3.5L V6. LSS I just changed the timing belt and at the same time replaced the scroll valve in the compressor. Have the system vacuuming out for 2 hours while putting everything back together from the timing belt job, only to find the alternator is frozen so I can't start the car to pull in a full charge of refrigerant. Will take a few days to get a replacement alternator. I don't think it's a good idea to leave the system in a deep vacuum for those days, so any problem to charge it with the few ounces that it will take from the tank, then top it off fully in a few days when the engine is running?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Refilling system but can't turn the engine on for a while

Post by bohica2xo »

"Replaced the scroll valve in compressor" Huh?

Did you pay someone for this "service"?

While you are waiting on parts, I would charge the bulk of the charge through the high side port as a liquid. That way the system runs with nearly a full charge at startup.

Also while waiting, pull the thermal sensor out of the expansion block. Add some heat sink grease to the sensing well on the block - this is a common issue on the 2007 Vue. The grease transfers heat to the sensor, and very little was put in at the factory. Over the years it dries out - and you start to get evaporator icing. The sensor is not exposed to refrigerant, and may be removed from a charged system.
atikovi

Re: Refilling system but can't turn the engine on for a while

Post by atikovi »

Maybe there is another name for it but the part in the back of the compressor that looks like a piston.

Pay for this service? Heck, no. Everybody wants to sell you a whole new compressor.

I was able to put in 2 oz but my tank is nearly empty. Will put the rest in later.