71 Vette

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Paulo
Read the full article

71 Vette

Post by Paulo »

Hello All,
Newbi to the auto a c forum. I'll get right into it. Limited ac experience. I have a 71 Vette with an original ac setup. When I got the car the ac never worked, but compressor clicks on when set at dash. I know the system has been open to the atmosphere numerous times. I would like to convert the system from the R12 to 134A coolant. I am in the process of getting a manifold gauge set and evacuation pump. I have installed the 134 conversion kit onto the compressor low and high sides. I know I have to evacuate the system and it must hold pressure. If not add dye to system to find leaks. Am I missing anything? Basically my question is are all old parts compatible with the new 134a coolant? How much and type oil to add? How much 134a to add? I know there is more but I'm learning. Don't want to bring car to an ac shop if I can help it. I'd rather learn my self. Glutton for punishment...LoL. Thanks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 71 Vette

Post by Cusser »

Paulo wrote: I know I have to evacuate the system and it must hold pressure. If not add dye to system to find leaks.
I've never done a conversion to R134a, so won't comment on that. But I'd add the UV dye initially, like many manufacturers do, rather that wait until system won't hold pressure or if you find a leak.

If compressor "clicks on" (engages), then there's some refrigerant still in it or someone monkeyed with the wiring. I'm a little confused about your statement that it was open to the atmosphere yet it still might have refrigerant present.

Don't add ANY sealers !!!
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

[quote="

I've never done a conversion to R134a, so won't comment on that. But I'd add the UV dye initially, like many manufacturers do, rather that wait until system won't hold pressure or if you find a leak.

If compressor "clicks on" (engages), then there's some refrigerant still in it or someone monkeyed with the wiring. I'm a little confused about your statement that it was open to the atmosphere yet it still might have refrigerant present.

Don't add ANY sealers !!![/quote]

ok, got it...so add the die prior and no sealers. When I stated open to atmosphere I just meant compressor has been on and off car and disconnected from ac system due to engine rebuild, and other workshops . But for my own info ac is not supposed to engage if no refrigerant in system?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

The 71 vette drier must be changed to accept R134a. This is probably a POA system so the POA will need to be set for R134a. Vettes were not good vehicles for conversions. I would stick with keeping it R12.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

You could not pick a worse vehicle to convert to 134a. Do not convert it.

'71 is a POA valve system with the A6 compressor, and had no LPCO.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

bohica2xo wrote:You could not pick a worse vehicle to convert to 134a. Do not convert it.

I've read that the POA valve can be re-calibrated for 134a. Will A6 compressor not work with 134a? I've tried to keep it as the original R12'refridgerant but the shops that I inquired with all told me they won't touch it. That's why I'm attempting to convert the system.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Paulo wrote:
bohica2xo wrote:You could not pick a worse vehicle to convert to 134a. Do not convert it.

I've read that the POA valve can be re-calibrated for 134a. Will A6 compressor not work with 134a? I've tried to keep it as the original R12'refridgerant but the shops that I inquired with all told me they won't touch it. That's why I'm attempting to convert the system.
Where are you located? I would charge R12 systems all day long.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Dougflas wrote:
Paulo wrote:

Where are you located? I would charge R12 systems all day long.

Sayville, NY